GU10 - GZ10

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year, Sparkies!

I have a new flat where the sitting room has GU10 bulbs and the two bathrooms have GZ10 bulbs.

1. Can you tell me the difference?

2. I know how to change the GU10 bulbs but can you tell me how to change the GZ10 bulbs? Do I just pull the whole thing down or does it twist to open?

3. The GZ10 bulbs appear to be lying at an angle behind the glass. Is this intentional or is it just shoddy installation?

4. I've seen GZ10 bulbs advertised which last for 5000 hours instead of 2000 hours. They are more expensive but I am tempted. The blurb says they have gas in them which makes the difference. Any reason why I should not buy these and MOST IMPORTANTLY will they be the same size as the 2000 hour ones?

Many thanks in anticipation of your very kind assistance.

Jim

Sponsored Links
GU10 and GZ10 lamps are NOT interchangeable. GZ10 heat is passsed through the back of the bulb and GU10 passes heat forward.

In some fittings the lamp holder is designed so you can only fit the correct lamp. Some will take either.

Otherthan that they are the same and they go in and out the same.
If your lamp is skewed then its bad installation.

The lamp maker may say what the "estimated" life of the lamp is.

If you look at the end of the lamp, you'll see that the GU10 lamps have a rounded shoulder, whereas the GZs are squared off. This means that a GU10 will fit in a GZ fitting, but not the other way round. Have a look at the bathroom lights and see if the holder has a rounded shroud to it. If so, then you have the wrong lamps fitted.

Sponsored Links
believe it or not, its been in the "sticky" for years clicky

The blurb says they have gas in them

all halogen lamps have gas in them. if they didnt they would not work. its why they are called halogen lamps, the gas is one from the "halogen" family

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back