Halstead Ace: hot water periodic cut-out problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Halstead Ace in my 2 bedroom house. The boiler is less than a year old and has been problem free until about the past couple of weeks.

The hot water has started to run intermittently cold. This seems to caused by the burner cutting out after only 10 or 15 seconds, then re-igniting after about a further 20 or so seconds. The boiler continues in this fashion indefinitely, regardless as to whether the CH is switched on (although the water seems hotter when the CH is on). The CH by the way, seems to be operating fine. The rads get hot as quickly as usual, and the burner stays on with no apparent problems, until the hot water is run. Then the burner commences to burn intermittently again.

I can think of only one possible forbearer to this problem, a few days before the boiler became problematic, there was an interruption to our water supply at the mains. This lasted for just over 24hrs. I'm not sure if this could have caused the problem.

Any information, questions or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a thermistor problem but to be honest could be several things hard to tell without looking at it.

It does sound like a thermistor problem however the boiler should be under two guarantees, the installers guarantee and the Manufacturer's guarantee.

First speak to the installer and see what he suggests, if he is conscientious then he will come and have a look to identify the problem.

If he will not come or has no idea on how to diagnose faults then you will have to call the manufacturer who will send their service agent. If its a manufacturer's part which has failed then it will be fixed at no charge for you. If it were an installers ommission then it could be a chargeable call but in this case it sounds like a thermister.

Tony Glazier

Ring Halstead technical service, they are very helpfull and if the boiler is less than 2 years old and a part has gone faulty they will fix it FOC. :D
Trust me ,they have just fixed mine :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I too have the same boiler and live in Hartlepool. Mine suffered exactly the same symptoms after it was about a year old. I now have to flush out the DHW heat exchanger about every six weeks as it gets clogged up with black metal debris. So far I have tried everything bar power flushing and still have the problem....is your issue resolved ? where abouts in cleveland do you live ?

Haha, I also am from Hartlepool! Do you have a combi-mate fitted? I ask as since I changed the crystals in the combi-mate, the problem resolved itself within a week.
;)

No, I have a Liff Combi-Flo which is basically a similar device with the same type of crystals.....why were the crystals causing you an issue, was a blockage restricting the cold water flow ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back