HALSTEAD FINEST GOLD DHW PROBLEM ROUND 2

Hi Rob. .....excuse my ignorance....what is HE?

edit...(DOH .... I'm guessing heat exchanger)

Sponsored Links
yes, the sizzling is probably kettling. i.e small quantitys of water may be boiling. DHW HE dont kettle, so its likely to be the main one. i would check burner pressure, and maybe try to chemically clean the boiler.
DHW HE should be removed and cleaned by itself.

Thanks Rob.... Mark did check the burner pressures and reset the to the halstead specs. If you back off enough on the burner pressure, the problem goes away, but then the DHW is only luke warm. :cry:

If there was kettling in the main HE wouldn't that affect the main CH operation as well ?

(again ...pls excuse my ignorance)

Sponsored Links
AHA !

I'm having another moment (oo-err)

If the DHW HE was bunged up, the flow rate through the main HE in DHW mode would be slow... and would kettle, flip it into CH mode , it aint going through the bunged up DHW HE any more, so we get a high flow rate through the main HE .....no kettling

:D does that sound feasable

OK ... heres another fact I 've just discovered .... when the CH has been on for a while, it does the same thing.... i.e...even though the switch is in the 1 position, the burner isn't running....but it doesn't just cut out for 5-6 seconds ..... it's been out for a few minutes now, with no sign of relighting.........and just as I typed that.....it lit up again :D

bugger this....it's twisting my melon man
Going to put some coving up....can't go wrong with that.

Paul, you are meant to edit the first posting if you want to add info.

The CH if its properly set is at a much lower power than the DHW so kettling is not noticed.

One reason for kettling on DHW could be that the pump is not running. It should run on DHW to pump the water round the short circuit loop through the diverter valve.

Stay around on the computer forum in case I need some advice on IP addresses.

Tony

OK ... now it's just taking the ****..... The ignition is kaput... not even got CH now. On power up , the burner light comes on three times , but no spark, then gives a flashing safety lockout light

???

Hey Scatman ...hows tricks.

I fixed it (the ignition failure) was a crack in the HT lead .... shorting onto the body.

Now I'm back to the kettling scenario.

The pump is deffo working in both CH and DHW
must be bunged up somewhere ?

I'd say so.

You need to be able to measure the temperatures for us to make any kind of diagnosis.

Chemical flush did the trick, Mark came and did it yesterday and it's all back to normal now. :D

Would be interesting to know which particular jizzm he used, and how..??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back