Halstead Finest Gold - DHW problem

No it's not mate, I tried to set it so I could use port forwarding....should I go back to automatic?

Sponsored Links
:D Yep ..... once they're both in your DHCP list , you should then be able to network them.

Might it not be a problem with the router's security password - depending on type? Also Norton interfered with mine, had to disable it.

Sponsored Links
No...apparently If the boilers mounted in an exposed position it can suffer with calcium build up in the flue flow sensor .... which puts it into safety lockout.

ChrisR said:
Might it not be a problem with the router's security password - depending on type? Also Norton interfered with mine, had to disable it.

If it was the security password (I presume you mean the WEP key) It wouldn't be able to connect to the router at all (i.e. no tinternet)

Good News ... Mark Fairley is coming out to sort my boiler out... he's 8 miles up the road in Rochdale ....£65 all in :D

Will post on the results on Friday.

Anyway .... For your network Ollski.... first job is to get it so you can ping each other..... once you can do that it's down to windows config.

Dunno about giving them a ping I will be giving them both a boot out of the window they are both in the dchp list but won't see each other.

:LOL:

I know how you feel....I've been tempted a few times... The best way to test that the network infrastructure is sound is to use PING.... If one can't PING the other you could be ****ing about for hours in windows, when it's nowt to do with the windows config.

(1)Obtain IP automatically from DHCP on both PC's
(2)DO THE DAMN PING TEST :!:
(3)Run the network setup wizard on the desktop, create a floppy disk at the last stage and run that on the laptop.

Sometimes network neighborhood seems to be a bit flaky at first....... thats why I said "Right click on MyNetworkPlaces and do a "search for computers" entering the computer name you typed into the wizard.

If the ping test works, and the wizard runs, and they still can't see each other it's time to pull out the ADSL connection, drop every firewall and security measure you've got and build it up from the bottom.

I take it you're on XP on both machines ?

lol, if I run the ipconfig /all command on the desktop it gives me the ip of the router and desktop but not the laptop. If I ping my laptop ip it gives me in the routers dhcp list it fails all four pings, do the router ip and its fine.

Oh hang on I can ping my desktop from my laptop though....can't see it when I search for computers or in my network places though.

No...apparently If the boilers mounted in an exposed position it can suffer with calcium build up in the flue flow sensor .... which puts it into safety lockout.
What does "exposed" mean? Where does the calcium come from?

------
Mine (Draytek 2900G) allows access to the net without the WEP key being set up. An unprotected mode, maybe?
I've had it all working three times - but it fails after about a day. Useless!

ChrisR said:
What does "exposed" mean? Where does the calcium come from?

MILK ?

:LOL:

It's up high on the side of a house in the windy pennines. The sensor pipe inside the flu measures the pressure difference in the Air above and below it. If the wind's blowing in the right direction, moisture can get into the flu...when this reacts with the sensor pipe it oxidies and leaves tiny white calcium deposits. (don't ask to explain the science bit) It only takes a little bit of this inside the sensor pipe to muck up the pressure difference and convince the boiler the flu is bunged up......safety lockout.

Mind you .... since I've had my new PCB I think they must have increased the allowable range of flu pressures as It's been in for ages now, and not had a safety lockout since.

ollski said:
Oh hang on I can ping my desktop from my laptop though....can't see it when I search for computers or in my network places though.

OK...so the wireless can ping through the router to your desktop, but your desktop can't ping back, but can ping the router.

What are the 2 IP addresses..... do they have the same subnet mask ? (the 255.255.255.0 bit ?)

paul993 said:
ollski said:

OK...so the wireless can ping through the router to your desktop, but your desktop can't ping back, but can ping the router.

What are the 2 IP addresses..... do they have the same subnet mask ? (the 255.255.255.0 bit ?)

I presume they are but they are now both set to be assigned by the router automatically so it doesn't say
router 192.168.2.1.
desktop 192.168.2.2
laptop 192.168.2.3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back