hanging doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed some doors and had them stripped.

I now need to hang them back. Any suggestions/hints/tips to do this?

acchillo

Sponsored Links
Just remember to put the doors back in the correct way it has been taken off. Not all doors are the same, a thin packing piece will help the door to line up the hinge butt. It's known if your doors has been dipped into a tank type so may a need a bit shaving of the door because of expansion.

went to re hang some a few years ago assuming the were only needing plained to match new flooring through out the house
didnt realise the had been dipped and stripped plained the with 2mm clear all round the doors jobs a good un
called back some weeks later two doors were tight two were well small they had shrunk by 4mm as the door stop was only six mm you can guess what was happening
had to increase the gap to 4mm all round and fit a 9mm door stop

and the other two well it must have been the paint holding them together as the were falling appart had to re glue and dowel through the tennons as there wasnt enough meat left to re wedging :rolleyes:

Looks like stripped doors change size after the treatment. I ahve not checked the size yet as they are still a bit wet and smell of neutralizer. Will leave in a well heated room for two/.three days before hanging them.

Luckily my door stop is a bit bigger than a few mm. let's see.

I am not quite sure about the packing piece suggestion. Did you mean wedging some support underneath the door to line it up with the hinges butt?

Will do! Apart from that and assuming the door did not shrink/enlarge too much it will about filling the old screw holes with some wood filling (any idea?) and screw the new hinges back in.

Sponsored Links
Acchillo said:
I am not quite sure about the packing piece suggestion. Did you mean wedging some support underneath the door to line it up with the hinges butt?
Yes.

filling the old screw holes with some wood filling (any idea?) and screw the new hinges back in.
If the holes are too big, glue some matchsticks into the hole.

If you are getting a few doors stripped mark each door and frame with a chisel on the inner jamb. I usually use a roman numeral for each door. that way when they come back from stripping you have a reference as to which door belongs where

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back