Health 'n' safety!

Sponsored Links
The tile coursing to the right of the Velux is horrendous. Obviously no idea how to use a tape measure. No tile 'n' halfs up the verge or Velux either.

A once handsome house looks like it has been well and truly butchered. All the way up from the plastic-doored portch abortion to the odd looking right hand end of the ridge tiles that appear suspended in thin air. At least they kept the Velux small, or is it a cat flap?

Thanks for taking the trouble to post these, Vera's owner.

Sponsored Links
Yes that porch is vile, as is the dormer window. That might have been a garage at the right, as per the neighbouring house. I wonder if the householder could be held responsible for H&S violations. I would not want to employ someone who took such risks. But then the problem with building work is you don't really know what you are getting, till you've got it. I speak as someone who once had an outbreak of cowboys.

Yes, that was a garage next to the porch and a subtle 500w halogen installed, to light up half the neighbourhood.

Having run out of room in the skip, they left a few odds n' sods on the flat roof of the first floor dormer window.........

Detailing on the flat roof felting looks like a class piece of work as well - has the felt been stuck directly onto the uPVC fascia board. The chimney looks like it was capped using a passing albatross with dysentery. Makes you wonder what material will be used to fill the missing course on the garage infill. Old boiler gone? - love to see the regs compliance certificates/lawful completion for this shambles!

Any way of getting a photo of the rear elevation?

Detailing on the flat roof felting looks like a class piece of work as well - has the felt been stuck directly onto the uPVC fascia board.
Flat roof mineral side flashing are fixed directly to the fascia. It's only the gutter drip that is deliberately spaced away from the fascia.
Admittedly, better builders fix a dedicated batten that cradles the the drip so that this allows the replacement of the fascia without having to chop drip clouts. However, the end result looks the same.

Last edited:
No - I mean it looks like a cut edge on the flashings - take a close look at the corner.

Edit - having just taken another look - is that lead?

Sponsored Links
Back