Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not to go on to much with full long winded version:-

Problem
1: Radiators not getting hot all over the house
Action Taken so far
1: Cleaned out all rads on the garden with hose till run clear and put back on ( quite a bit of black stuff as system had had fernox put though it but never drained out )

2: All rads apart from the one last get hot ( last one luke warm ) but in pipe really hot
4: Hot water now seems to be hot then cold,then hot then cold
5: When demand for CH the boiler fires for 30 seconds, Goes off for about 40, Then fires for 30 secs ( all the time )
6: Noticed that since cleaning the rads when I run a bath the upstairs rads seem to get hotter??

Read on the net that it could be a diverter valve sticking problem or dirty.
Should this be my next step.

Thanks for any advice or help

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you have dislodged dirt to settle in the plate heat exchanger.

Thats a common fault because they are cheap boilers and so always installed cheaply!

The heating cycing could be due to a lack of flow ( partially blocked pump impeller? ) but might just be because the CH setting is too high.

In either case lowering the CH power setting will improve the situation.

To do that you will need to follow the instructions and do it carefully and only if you are competent to adjust PCBs.

Tony

Thanks for you response Tony...I'm able to build pcs etc so PCB's should be up my street..The PCB is in the front caseing flap but have no manual for the boiler so any heads up for what i'm looking for and adjusting would be a great help..Thanks

You will need to get the MI for the boiler.

From memory its one out of four pots on the back left of the PCB accessed through a small removable cover.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony

I think I may have located a manual on the net...Theres 4 round adjustment on the diagram:-

K Adjustment
Anti Fast Cycling Adjustment
CH Capacity
Ignition Capacity

Also it states in the manual that:-

" The boiler is fitted with inlet filters both on the
cold water inlet and the central heating return. "

The boiler has what appears to be screw on tops where the heat return goes into the bottom of the boiler before going into the pump. Is that filter in there? Would if be worth un-screwing this and checking for crap?

Thanks again for all your advice and sorry to keep asking questions :oops: [/img]

I have found something new tonight..the pipe next to my heating return which appears to be Cold water inlet when heatings running gets really hot, and when I turn on my bath cold tap ( the bathroom and bath is directly above were the boiler sits ) runs very hot for a few seconds ( like tap hot water hot ) turn it off and after a few mins will do it again....Whats that all about?? :eek: :confused:

Turn the CH Capacity fully anti clockwise and see what effect that has.

By all means drain system to boiler level and check the return filter. You may be able to do that just with the isolating valves off.

Tony

Hi Tony

First of all...really greatful for the advice your giving...The little white screw inside the CH capacity was at this angle when looking at it /
I have turned it anti-clockwise to this -

Hope that makes sence?Is that correct or should I be turning it more?

Thanks Again

I asked you to turn it fully anti clockwise and not to any particular angle.

In any case an angle represents two possible posible positions.

What effect has that had on the cycling?

When are you going to look at the return filter?

Tony

Hi Tony

I did turn it further but it seemed to go back to the same position, will it keep turning until it stops....?Like srewing in a screw?I only did it this morning before leaving for work so wont know anymore until I get home tonight.

I was going to look at the filter side of things over the weekend.

Thanks

Hi Tony..Got home tonight and rads still no good.......so thought sod it, lets look at the filter...One stupid little gaze tube that was caked up with **** ( did its job though to stop it going any further ) Cleaned, put back in , re pressurized and ........ bloody roasting rads all over the house and boiler doesn't short cycle...Thanks again for your help.

Hi - where would i find the filters ??? as mine is doing the same - do i drain the system - i have a mate who could prob help but need the correct info rfirst -

many thanks

Hi - where would i find the filters ??? as mine is doing the same - do i drain the system - i have a mate who could prob help but need the correct info rfirst -

many thanks

Hi nijopo...As you look at the boiler where all the pipes go into it, The far right pipe has what looks like a screw top lid facing you..Turn the boiler off also turn all the heat return valves off..this will restrict how much water will come out..Once done, Get a bucket and unscrew the lid facing you as mentioned..Turn to the left,Quite a bit of water will come out..Once it stops pull out the tubalar metal gauze..Clean it best you can ( if its dirty, if not this its not the prob ) put it back in with clear holes to the top..Screw back on lid, Re-pressurise and turn the return valves back open and hopefully its working.Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back