help!!! bare wires sticking out of skirting board.....

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by diane1, 20 Apr 2010.

1. diane1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    iv just moved into a new house and there is cable...(white).poking out of the skirting....there are wires sticking out of the cable brown and blue and the yellow one is there but has been cut really short and can hardly be seen....im assuming as there are 4 of there round the room...that they had lamps or something attached to them b4 the people moved out..

what do i do with them????....

:) Diane

2. Steve

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Make it a naughty corner for the kids?

You need to find out where they come from. Do you have a multimeter? Do you have any switches that appear to do nowt? Are there any breakers in the consumer unit turned off?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. diane1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hmm...multimeter???...dont think so!....theres no switches doing nothing!....am just off to find the meter cupboard!.. ;)

Diane

4. diane1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    nope nothing turned off in the consumer unit!.....

5. ColJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    contact your solicitor and tell them that you think the seller didn't "make good" any removed electrical items.. ( they have to by law if removing light fixtures etc.. )

6. dannyboi2003

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whoa! Lets not go involving solicitors just yet as that could get messy. If you are able to contact the previous occupiers or contact them through the estate agents/solicitors and ask them to clarify what the cables are for and if they are connected to anything. I wouldnt be surprised if they are cables for surround sound speakers or something. Failing all that ask a friend or someone who knows how to use a multimeter to test the cables and identify where they go and if they are connected to anything.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whoa! maybe, but if they're brown blue and a cropped yellow (/green) they could be live. And if they are speaker cables then the last occupiers were cheapskates when it came to audio equipment !! You can get a multimeter for less than a tenner.

8. LoveRocket

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When you say "out of the skirting" what do you actually mean? Out the top from behind the skirting? From under the carpet underneath? Out through a hole in the front of the skirting?
    Grab your camera - a picture speaks a thousand words! :)

Oh dear, you're not implying that mains flex (of a suitable CSA) is no good as speaker cable are you? :rolleyes:

9. Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You should contact the estate agent & get him as a matter of urgency to contact the seller & ask what they are.
    As already stated the property should be left safe/secure, water/gas/electric.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. diane1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

ok...rang e/a as advised...apparently they are surround sound speakers wires!!....(they dont look like my speaker wires!.)...so im now guessing i can just shove em back thru there holes in my skirting and seal them up???

thanks 4 your help guys!! :D

11. ColJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I didn't mean from the perspective of starting legal proceedings or anything, just that the solicitor should have the details of how to contact the sellers and would be able to put you in contact with them.. I didn't think about the estate agent and odds are you might not have a forwarding address or contact details of the sellers yourself..

12. Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback, glad you are sorted.
    Enjoy the new home.

13. EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not if the new owner doesn't know what it is no it's not suitable. whether or not you can hear any difference is irrelevant.

14. madmole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The audiophiles amongst up know that one of the best kept secrets is that mains cable makes superb speaker wire. Sound quality the same as proper speaker wires costing £50 plus a meter. Big improvement in bass over the normal thin twin cable

don't believe me, go try it!

15. Steve

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your wrong. Visit russ andrews website. :LOL: If you like your cables gold, oxygen free and braided, he's your man! :LOL: