HELP!!! I have a leak on my boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just come home and found that there is a pretty serious water leak on my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior boiler. After inspection it seems to be a black plastic component that has developed a pin-hole leak for some reason and is spraying water out at a fair old rate.

The item in question is highlighted here with the pink arrow.

boiler.jpg

I don't know what the item is, it's a piece of black plastic with more than one connections to water pipes. I have no idea why it would have developed a hole in the side of it!

Anyway I have switched my water off at the mains but I cannot contact WB until tomorrow. There is no stop cock or isolator valve on the pipework to the boiler. Is there anything in the boiler itself that will shut the water off so that I can turn my supply back on?

Any help gratefully received!!

Jay

Sponsored Links
There should be an isolation or 3 on the boiler right underneath it.

Has turning off the mains stopped the leak or has he leak continued and the pressure in the system dropped?

There should be an isolation or 3 on the boiler right underneath it.

Has turning off the mains stopped the leak or has he leak continued and the pressure in the system dropped?

Turning the mains off stopped the leak, the system pressure hasn't dropped.

Can you explain where the isolation is please?

under boiler second pipe from the right, on the brass connection you can see a small square with a slot in it, turn this one quarter turn. now put your mains back on.

The part you are identifiing is the conection to the plate HE, possible it is leaking fron the duty hot water sensor.

Sponsored Links
under boiler second pipe from the right, on the brass connection you can see a small square with a slot in it, turn this one quarter turn. now put your mains back on.

The part you are identifiing is the conection to the plate HE, possible it is leaking fron the duty hot water sensor.

Hi, turning the small square with the slot in it did not stop the leak. There are five connections, from left to right numbers 1,3,4,5 all have the squares with slots in - I tried turning them all off, no luck. Connection 2 has no such isolator and that pipe runs straight into the black plastic connection that has the leak on it.

Hi, turning the small square with the slot in it did not stop the leak. There are five connections, from left to right numbers 1,3,4,5 all have the squares with slots in - I tried turning them all off, no luck. Connection 2 has no such isolator and that pipe runs straight into the black plastic connection that has the leak on it.

The pipe without the iso is the pipe to the hot taps you need to isolate the cold feed to the boiler as previously described then open hot tap at lowest point in system. This should stop the leak

THANKS GUYS!!!! It worked, no heat or hot water but at least we can boil the kettle :D

Just got to see how soon WB send out an engineer now when I call them tomorrow.

Hi,

I have just come home and found that there is a pretty serious water leak on my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior boiler. After inspection it seems to be a black plastic component that has developed a pin-hole leak for some reason and is spraying water out at a fair old rate.

boiler.jpg

I don't know what the item is, it's a piece of black plastic with more than one connections to water pipes. I have no idea why it would have developed a hole in the side of it!

Anyway I have switched my water off at the mains but I cannot contact WB until tomorrow. There is no stop cock or isolator valve on the pipework to the boiler. Is there anything in the boiler itself that will shut the water off so that I can turn my supply back on?

Jay

Hi Jay

You're not alone, I have the same boiler and mine also sprung a pin-hole leak in the same plastic part. Apparantly, I was told by their repair man that this was a commom fault with quite a few of their combi boilers. The part was replaced with a modified part. The boiler was just out of guarantee period, so I was invoiced £220.00 for this job. Another year on and I am now having more problems - this time with condensation gathering round the solenoid. It broke down 4 times in 1 week during the cold spell. I will never buy WB again.

Hi,

boiler.jpg

Jay

Hi Jay

You're not alone, I have the same boiler and mine also sprung a pin-hole leak in the same plastic part. Apparantly, I was told by their repair man that this was a commom fault with quite a few of their combi boilers. The part was replaced with a modified part. The boiler was just out of guarantee period, so I was invoiced £220.00 for this job. Another year on and I am now having more problems - this time with condensation gathering round the solenoid. It broke down 4 times in 1 week during the cold spell. I will never buy WB again.

Nick the left hand manifold leaking is not common at all, you and the op were unlucky! In respect of water lying around your soenoid gas valve IS a problem you should investigate or get investigated because it will cause you heart ache in the future. If you have water there it generally is because of the two following reasons:

1) condense backing up into the combustion area - is the condensate syphon blocked with any crud or frozen? this can cause water to get into the combustion chamber and into your fan and gas valve-both expensive items. Has your boiler been regularly serviced?
2) a flue seal has gone causing condensate back into the boiler causing the same problems.

get it sorted soon pal before you get another bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back