Help! - Luke warm radiators, one cold radiator and pump prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had the heating on the other day and noticed that my radiators where not heating to their normal temperature.

One radiator was completely stone cold, the others where warm, but not scalding hot. I've noticed as well that the pump is cutting out after about 5 minutes.

I have an ideal mexico 2 boiler and honeywell control unit. The hot water is working fine.

I have tried bleeding the radiators and theres been no improvement. My old man thinks the pump has gone - I think theres more to it than that. Just wanted to get some opinions before I get an engineer out

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It seems that the pump is not working properly but the hot water is because its a gravity circuit.

Without seeing your pump then I cannot know what the exact problem is. You say the pump "cuts out" whatever that means. Because that does not mean anything to me that does not realy help me.

The pump may be failing and that could be as a result of a dirty system.

Flushing, chemical treatment or power flushing may be required to prevent a reoccurance of the problem.

Tony

Thanks for your reply.

When I turn the heating on I hear the pump start up, the boiler fires up then everything seems to cut out after about 5-10 minutes.

When I turn the heating off, then on again - nothing - complete silence.

If i let everything cool down for 30 minutes or so then try putting the heating on again, everything seems to fire up as normal then again cuts out in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks again

After a bit more trial and error I turned off the valves to all the radiators that were heating up leaving only the cold radiator on.

This time when I turned the heating on the pump stayed on for much longer - around 30 minutes - then cut out again. The radiator however did not heat up at all. Still stone cold.

Hmm.....

Sponsored Links
have you checked there is water in the F&E tank?

AND that it goes down if you take water out?

Tony

Just thought I'd bump this up to try and get some more advice.

I think I've now ruled out the pump as the source of the problem

I have a honeywell control panel which allows me to control times and select between turning on hot water, turning on central heating, or both.

When the central heating turned on I hear the boiler fire up and the pump turning. Two minutes later everything shuts down and wont fire up again until everything has cooled off. However I can turn the hot water setting on and the pump and boiler fires up immediately and works without fault.

Any thoughts as to whats causing the central heating to cut out?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back