Help with the Powermax 185 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Powermax 185 gas heating boiler. There are two lights on the control panel. When the boiler is burning, the green one is illuminated. If the red light is ignited, the boiler is locked, as the system may be overheated and it shut off automatically.

The red light was illuminated several days ago, I followed the instructions on the Manual to switch off the boiler for serveral mins and then turn it on, the boiler worked again and the green light was illuminated. Hot water was provided but the radiators were not very hot. So definitely, the boiler could not be overheated.

Presently, the red light would be illuminated for several times per today. After the boiler burn for about 15 mins, the red light turns on. I guess there is something wrong with the boiler but do not know what are the causes that make the red light switch on so frequently. I can tell that the boiler is not overheated. But I am worried about turning the boiler off and on, off and on continuously may cause damages.

Anyone could give me some advices? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
When was the last time the boiler was serviced :?:

I go out to alot these boilers and for some reason the customers never have them serviced then wonder why they break down, if more than five years old will need new baffles x 8 last one i done took 3.5 hours to service the lack of servicing had to pull the baffles out from the bottom of the sump and fit new pump vavles then clear allmigty air lock.

May have pump not working, is your model pressurised or open vented(ie tank in loft).

Thank you for the reply.

The flat is newly-built. We moved in two and a half years ago. The boiler should be installed less than 5 years.

We have checked it and changed a new pump in Sept. Are there any other problems with the boiler?

The boiler has not been serviced for at least 2.5 years possibly 5 and you have not answered is it open vented or pressurised system?

Assuming that you are not resetting any internal overheat stats, it is an ignition lockout caused by poor ignition, faulty gas valve poor electrode,faulty pcb,etc.

Get the boiler serviced and the fault corrected by a corgi engineer, if you have changed the pump did the start fault happen after you changed the pump or was the pump changed to cure the fault.

Chances are new baffles will also be required also £120 set

Sponsored Links
call potterton on 08706 096 096 as they now own the rights to this boiler and carry out servicing repairs for it they will charge a fixed price of around £200 which includes all parts labour and vat ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back