Powermax 185 keeps locking out after 20 minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a powermax 185 which goes to lockout after about 20 minutes after getting hot enough to provide heating. I have sat and watched it and it runs fine then bangs a little the green light goes out and ignition tries to light again 3 times but it goes red lockout instead.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Phil

Sponsored Links
If ignition fails, I would imagine you have a gas related problem and as such you will need a gas registered repairer.

It could be many things on a Powermax. One thing for sure is that no diyer should even think about a repair to these boilers. For peace of mind, get a professional in to look at it. Be prepared for a lot of refusals, as many will not work on them. Spares are becoming obsolete. BG engineers are trained on them. Sorry for not being more positive.

Thanks Mick for the reply, it just seems strange that it works fine until its been running hot for a while, this also happened straight after i powered the unit off while i changed a faulty programmer which was a straight swap.

Its the bang that seems to knock out the burner.

Sponsored Links
I agree don't touch these unless you know exactly what you are doing damn dangerous in the wrong hands, make sure whoever you call out is trained on them I cannot emphasis just how dangerous these can be without proper training.

As stated not a DIY repair.

All you could do is visually inspect the flue terminal for damage/obstruction and measure/estimate the flow/return temps at the boiler to make sure the pump is circulating the heating water properly.

Tony

Problem sorted, I would never attempt anything with this boiler or any other for that matter but I am ok with electrics and after fitting a new programmer problem sorted, I thought it was too much of a coincidence to develop this fault after replacing the programmer. Thanks anyway

Thanks Mick for the reply, it just seems strange that it works fine until its been running hot for a while, this also happened straight after i powered the unit off while i changed a faulty programmer which was a straight swap.

Its the bang that seems to knock out the burner.

I dont see how fitting a new programmer could cause the boiler to bang!

Nor for that matter how you can fix a new programmer when its already new!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back