Range Powermax 155x - annoying lockouts

pem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is fitted with a Range Powermax 155x. I moved into the house just before Christmas and took out British Gas Homecare in case of any problems.

The Powermax had a couple of lockouts in January, it became a weekly event in February, and this month it is happening just about every day. If I switch the unit off for 10 seconds or so and then back on again it works fine (though I have noticed that it makes a sort of groaning noise when it ignites - does this indicate something?).

Once, on re-starting after a lockout, the green burner light came on momentarily three times then it went straight into a lockout again. Does this mean the pilot failed to light? Could this be the source of the problem?

When the system was inspected by British Gas back in January it passed with flying colours (I mentioned the lockouts to the engineer at the time but he just said it's a "feature" of the Powermax and it didn't seem that big a deal back then).

I check the pressure regularly and this seems to be fine (no leaks, running at about 1.5 when cold). I topped it up about two weeks ago and the pressure has stayed relatively constant ever since.

I get the feeling that if I call British Gas they will just say that there's nothing wrong (I can't get the unit to lockout on purpose so proving the fault to them might be awkward). Is there a list of obvious faults that would cause a lockout? Are there any simple diagnostics I can do to isolate the fault?

Sponsored Links
pem said:
Once, on re-starting after a lockout, the green burner light came on momentarily three times then it went straight into a lockout again. Does this mean the pilot failed to light? Could this be the source of the problem?

Was this an attempted re-start immediately after it initially locked out eg when the boiler was hot?

The reason I am asking is that the lock out could be due to high temperature. or it could be due to low gas pressure or a component fault.

If the boiler was not excessively hot then certain potential problems could be ruled out (for that occurrence anyway)

noonespecial said:
Was this an attempted re-start immediately after it initially locked out eg when the boiler was hot?

The reason I am asking is that the lock out could be due to high temperature. or it could be due to low gas pressure or a component fault.

If the boiler was not excessively hot then certain potential problems could be ruled out (for that occurrence anyway)

I'm not sure when the boiler had locked out but I think it must have been quite a while though (the system is in a cupboard on the second floor of the house so the only way I know that it has locked out is by feeling the radiators every once in a while - if they are cold then I know it has stopped working).

I tried having a shower yesterday morning before setting off to work and it cut out then (the timer is only set to provide central heating in the evening) so does that indicate a lockout when the unit is cold or could it overheat even when it is just providing hot water?

Is there nothing on the unit that indicates what causes a lockout?

It could lock out on high temperature when it is supplying hot water only, in which case it would be a local circulation problem from the boiler to the hot water storage vessel. But could also well be gas pressure or a component failure.

I don't think there are many of these Powermax boilers around. So it could be the British Gas guy did not have any real knowledge of them. I know Potterton were trying to promote them with huge discounts to developers after they bought out the previous manufacturer but I do not think they sold very well because of a limited market. Also I think it was the 185's which they were really trying to promote for some reason.

Any idea when was the boiler installed.

Sponsored Links
I think it must have been commissioned in 2002 when the house was built.

That is no good then - thought there was a possibility that you would be covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

The bottom line is:

1. The boiler should not repeatably lock out (stop) - you would not expect that to happen with a car, television, or anything else you buy.

2. The lock occurs because there is a safety or potential damage issue relating to the equipment. So that indicates you do indeed have a problem.

3. What would you do if you were a little old lady (assuming you are not). Could you be able to re-set the boiler - No.

4. The cause for the lock out can be traced and the fault can be rectified.

5. The works have to be carried out by someone who knows what they are doing and are competent to do so. Either the British Gas man did not fall under that category or he was giving you a load of Bulls**t (did you smell anything while he was speaking to you :LOL: ). Trouble is a boiler service by British Gas involves just checking the flue products are ok - it doesn't take a lot of skill or knowledge to do that. (Someone will uproar seeing that statement :p )

6. You pay your money for a service agreement and you expect service.

7. Speak to Potterton and they will confirm that their boilers should not frequently lock out.

But don't blame the boiler - it could be a fault in the system.

Okay, cheers. I'll give British Gas a call and see what they can do. I might try contacting Potterton too. Do you know if they have diagnostic guides or anything like that available?

I just wanted something a bit more tangible than just raising it as a vague lockout problem, if I could pinpoint where the fault is it might save a bit of time (a friend of mine with another type of boiler ended up calling BG out repeatedly for over a month before they eventually fixed the problem and I can't afford all that time off :rolleyes: ).

pem said:
a friend of mine with another type of boiler ended up calling BG out repeatedly for over a month before they eventually fixed the problem:rolleyes: ).

Only a month - he was very lucky - it usually takes at least a year :p No offence meant to the good BG guys who use this website :p

It may be better just to let BG sort it out on their own. You may not get any thanks for telling them how to do their job ;)

The only documents on the potterton website are for the HE model, which yours is probably not. But what they have may make good bedtime reading for you at

http://www.potterton.co.uk/literature/index.php?type=installer

You could ask Potterton to send you a copy that could be useful for the future.

Thanks for your help, I'll give BG a call.

i would start looking around the gas valve area for problems, there is a different gas valve to fit to these now, (part no. p090 i think)

or it could be a problem with the electrodes.....

you just need to get bg back, and insist that there is a fault that needs fixing.....

I agree with Jase problems will be either Electrodes Gas valve or Pcb in that order :eek:

BG dont replace the Gas valves on these after a little mishap but they will pay us to do it for them if its needed ;)

gazthepottertonengineer said:
I agree with Jase problems will be either Electrodes Gas valve or Pcb in that order :eek:
Superb! I'll tell the BG engineer about this when he arrives. Cheers!

By the way, does the "groaning" sound when it first fires up indicate anything? (sounds a bit like a rattly heat shield if there is such a thing in a Powermax).

what mishap ?
ive changed a few didnt think it was difficult ?

if the green light comes on for about 3 seconds then goes off the pcb or electrode is not recognizing a flame. i would start with a look at the type of pcb in your boiler ( 2002 should be a blue pcb) get it upgraded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back