Range Powermax 155x - annoying lockouts

Sponsored Links
the early models had blue pcbs and the really really early models had a black pcb " before your time though :LOL: "

i come across your stickers on alot of these powermaxes mr jeffries did you used to sub fo them alot :?:

wasnt the blue one p550 microgas controller with lots of connections :confused:

sorry lor not alowed to divulge too much info :rolleyes:

we did and still do sub to then powermax and now baxi, yeah the blue ones did have lots of connections. my fsm is stuart p :LOL:

Sponsored Links
BG engineer visited on Saturday and diagnosed it as a broken electrode (he mentioned something about it/them being bent and didn't want to touch anything in case it/they "broke off" :confused: )

Anyway, he's ordered a new one and hopefully fitting it this afternoon (when it gets replaced I'll see if I can get a good look at the broken bit).

TBH, I know nothing about the internal workings of these boilers but I'm guessing the electrodes are what ignites the gas, or are they just sensors that detect that the igniter is working properly?

The chap from BG was nice and helpful so if a new electrode doesn't fix the problem then I'm sure he will sort it out eventually.

Nightmare!

BG engineer arrived yesterday afternoon to replace the "igniter" (not sure exactly what it was). Anyway, he took the boiler to bits and found a huge problem. As I understand it, there's eight tubes inside the boiler with twisted metal strips ("baffles"?) running through them that channel the heat downwards. Five of these metal strips had completley corroded and broken, the other three were not long for this world either - looks like they'd rusted but they are made of stainless steel?

As some of the strips had broken off, these are now stuck somewhere deep within the innards of the boiler. The BG engineer didn't have the parts to fix it so we've been without hot water and central heating all night.

He's coming back today (with another engineer) to have a go at replacing all the strips and then see if the new igniter will work. Removing the strips looks like a major job - he spoke to someone from Baxi (?) on the phone about this and they suggested turning the boiler upside down and shaking it :eek: I can't believe a three year old boiler could get in this state!

just goes to show that the boiler hasnr been serviced for 3 years, the strips are baffles which slow the heat going through the heat exchanger, and are a servicable item, which means they should be checked when servicing, the reson they corrode is that when you burn gas you get alot of water vapour, which is acidic. they arnt made of stainless steel, just normal steel, so the will rust.

tell your bg bloke to go to the pound shop and get one of those grab thingies with the spring loaded grab on the end, and he should be able to get them out with that. another way is to remove the sump from underneath the boiler, and pull them through that way....

but then again, i would love to see a bunch of bg's shaking a powermax upside down...........lol lol lol...

hope you get it sorted......j

jasonvaughan said:
just goes to show that the boiler hasnr been serviced for 3 years, the strips are baffles which slow the heat going through the heat exchanger, and are a servicable item, which means they should be checked when servicing

But Jason - do BG look at such things during their 'service' on one of these boilers or do they just check flue gases?

the way i see it, the boiler should be serviced according to the manufacturers instructions, so if bg didnt do this then their not doing their job properly... and so the customer isnt getting the service their paying for......

jasonvaughan said:
the way i see it, the boiler should be serviced according to the manufacturers instructions, so if bg didnt do this then their not doing their job properly... and so the customer isnt getting the service their paying for......

Jase they never actualy call it a service because of that they call it a safety inspection but i totally agree it is a load of C**p :eek:

also with the powermax you only have to take the burner and everything out every other year according to installation instructions but god knows how your supposed to know what the bloke did the year before :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back