Hey chaps how about helping me with some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finally bought a house for myself and the missus, but since we always have family guests which come with kids, nephews, dogs and cats, and a house is quite big, i was reccomended to install two boilers and two megaflo hot water tanks, and a as big as possible cold water tank. I have been working all of my life in and around construction sites, observing and sometimes studying every trade, and quite frankly, i want to do it myself. I know how to set up a boiler connected to a megaflow in a vented system.
Trouble is, it cant be as simple as connecting the flow and return pipes of each boiler into a single pipe, (and so on) im a suspicious person and always look around for the catch, because i know there must be one.
I know this is childs play for some of you, but is intriguing and very challenging for me, and cant wait to start laying the new pipes. (of course i wont be touching the gas pipe, i`ll call for a gas safe plumber to connect that).
So how about someone draw me a quick plan of how the piping should look like when connecting two boilers with two megaflos.
I will keep you updated with pics and whatnot in return as soon as i start til i finish and flood/blow up the house. Good ye?

Sponsored Links
jim a builder i know in m/cr ( and a very good one! experienced etc...58 years old) fitted a worcester system boiler on an unvented system! he rang me to do the gas and flue! I went along and he had flicked it all up! there are regs with unvented systems too! (for safety) expansion vessels/blow offs etc.

if you know that much why would you want a drawing...or are you on a wind up??

get a pro in..no offence like!

I wouldn t build a brick wall!

Who recommended all of that?
How big is this house - two boilers may not be necessary.

i was reccomended to install two boilers and two megaflo hot water tanks, and a as big as possible cold water tank.
As Megaflo cylinders can be obtained in sizes of at least 300 litres, what kind of house would justify having two of them?
There is also the issue of the cold water supply being suitable for them (almost certainly it is not).

What is this proposed cold water tank for? One of the main points with unvented cylinders being that you don't need one.

I know how to set up a boiler connected to a megaflow in a vented system
Not clear what you mean by that - a megaflo is a mains pressure unvented hot water cylinder, and a new heating system with gas boiler would also have the boiler on a sealed unvented circuit.

Thing is it's not just the gas pipe that you can't touch, the boiler and unvented cylinder are the same. There are lots of safety critical standards that need to be followed and they aren't all in the installation manuals.

I doubt you've get advice from a pro on here regarding installing but if you'd like help on the spec of your system...?

Sponsored Links
I've been around haematologists all my life...can I do blood transfusions :LOL:

Seriously dude, you need to have a pro come and look at the spec first hand. I would be surprised if you need what has been suggested.

Yeah i might do what your builder did, flick it all up. I still want to do it because too much time on my hands, and after all, thats why im here, took me long enough to find a credible place to ask for advice.
Explain to me then what is involved with this job, roughly, and I`ll give it a second thought. But i really wanted to do it myself. Guide me through then!

If you want to do everything properly then you need to do a three year apprentice ship in plumbing.

Then about a year to do the gas qualifications. Then three days to do the unvented.

Then you will be qualified with the theory to do this kind of work. But a couple of years getting practical experience under the guidance of veteran would help.

Tony

Yeah i might do what your builder did, flick it all up. I still want to do it because too much time on my hands,

scratch-head02-idea-animated-animat.gif

I'm so glad your across the water to me.
Your wasting your time you can't fit the boiler or the unvented cylinder.

or they will be able to build an airport where your house once stood.

Well with the temperature and pressure relief valve plugged, no wonder.
I will still do it, no offense but youre making it look as dangerous as defusing a nuclear bomb. Come on...its just water.
The house has 5 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, 3 bathrooms and underfloor heating at ground level. About 10 radiators. That`d be it.
Could you at least reccomend a boiler (yeah just one, see, im already listening to the advice saying two boilers arent neccesary) and 2 hw cylinders to go with it?
The mcws is 25mm.

agreed ,its wind up, i don't mind helping on her if i can
,it helps keep me on my toes,while i find a job,but i noticed theres alot of posts were i know there seems to be more and more illegal gas fitters ,workers unqualified seeking advice. in my opinion.

Actually, at the point of explosion it'd be steam! if you have 600L of water @ 3.5 bar under fault condition it'll reach well over 100DegC but when it drops back to atmospheric pressure (cylinder cracks or someone opens a tap) it will instantly turn to steam and expand 1600 times. Hence the explosion.

Work out how big your boiler needs to be. Put it on a low loss header with multiple zones, a pump for each zone, and one 300L cylinder should do. Wire it as hot water priority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back