Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

With the scaffold up we could set about removing the felt and trusses, all the wood would be cut down into usable sections for stud work later on

The gable end wall, although it will be built up, had to be taken down a few courses so that a couple of courses of buff bricks to match existing pattern could be laid.

My father then set about making some shutters to make pads for the steel work to sit on

Pads cast, they are the same height, its just the wide angle go-pro photo suggests otherwise ha ha

Sponsored Links
So, at the moment I’m pretty much up to present day. About 2 weeks ago I was able to cut out the holes into the gable end to take the new joists, which were on order but unfortunately, now I’m away due to work commitments and my father, his friend, and my brother in law set about putting the steelwork into position.

And having taken delivery of the joists put them up too.

So at present as of today, that’s pretty much where I’m at.

The brickie is starting again tomorrow (21/04/15) to start on the 1st floor brickwork.

Thanks for looking

To be continued
:)

Update,

Hit a snag, the 'contractor' I was using for the supply of brickie & labourer has contacted us and states, he's had an argument with the brickie and the brickie is no longer going to be back to finish our job WTF.

He also stated he would be back in touch with a replacement....

That was last week. After several calls and voicemail left we've not heard a bloody thing from him!

Any brickie said out there want a couple of days work maybe more?

We are 5 courses off wall plate height and obviously the gable end will need completing once we have the trusses in place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi, I just wanted to say great write up, do keep us all updated! I'm new to the site but will be moving house soon and jobs like yours are an inspiration as I like you will look to do lots of the work my self!

I hope you get your bricky predicament sorted soon!

Sponsored Links
Cheers, isctony :)

I'm hoping so too.

The main issue is not the time it takes to complete the extension as I enjoy doing most the work that I can feasibly do, but I just need to complete the gable end as quick as possible so I can remove the scaffolding from the neighbours garden having been gracious enough to allow us to place it there in the first place, after that then it's 'as & when' for the rest :)

Been frantically speaking to friends & relatives for contacts, just waiting for calls or further contacts now

Great step by step write up there, really helpful for anyone planning their own extension build (like me).

Keep up the good work and the good posts!!

Cheers, will do.

Ordered the trusses, wall plates & rafters, delivery expected next Friday.

Bricklayer coming to view the job on Sunday morning to see if it's worth taking on the remainder of the job.

I'll update the photos shortly :)

Exciting times!

Where did you order your joists, trusses etc from? A local place or online? Just wondering how you go about selecting a supplier for such things.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy

Both the joists & trusses are sourced from a local company and made to measure of course

They have to abide by building regs for the quality and treatment for supply so there's no worries on that side.

Exciting times!

Where did you order your joists, trusses etc from? A local place or online? Just wondering how you go about selecting a supplier for such things.

Cheers
Andy

Further to the last, it also depends on what you want to achieve. I wanted ease of access for plumbing & electrics etc, so posi-joists were ideal.the span is not huge so there's no concerns re loading but they make them to specification anyway.

The trusses are also being made by the same local company and was a little more complicated due to the step back in the front wall as per local authority requirements to pass planning application.
Thus there's a step down in the roof too, this results in different wall plate heights front to rear to achieve the correct pitch angle. This also results in the thicker truss depth as cutting into the truss for wall plate would weaken it too much.

There are a lot of companies doing the posi-joists now too so there's bound to be a local company to you should you go down that route.

Ok so update to this very day 02/05/15

Have a bricklayer coming in the morning to see if the job is worth his while. The gable end requires a lot of cuts so it'll be a day rate rather than per 1000 bricks but that's ok with me.

Today I was fortunate that my brother was available to come and get the brickwork up to wall plate height as the trusses are due next Friday or Monday (11th)
Yes my brother is a bricklayer by trade but he's been in a managerial position so doesn't get his hands dirty these days :) but seeing as I appealed to his better nature he came out and saved my bacon and we fed him with the same ha ha.

He completed the back wall first with the catnic lintels fitted and brickwork done I covered it all over due to heavy rain forecast at some point this weekend

We had a few rain showers but nothing to stop work.

Front brickwork and lintel progressing nicely

Anyway as far as progress is concerned, I'm happy to date but it's the gable end that concerns me as I'm in need of getting it completed to remove the scaffolding from my neighbours garden to keep the peace if nothing else as they've been very amenable to date even though they originally went to the planning committee meeting to oppose the extension.
To be fair they've been as good as gold since and I can see their reasons for the initial objections but I've appeased them through mutual agreements on noise, cleaning up, working times, etc....

To be continued......

Hope the bank holiday weather was kind for you!

Your brother looks like he's enjoying going back to his roots - he should stick it out and finish the job for you!!

Hope the bank holiday weather was kind for you!

Your brother looks like he's enjoying going back to his roots - he should stick it out and finish the job for you!!

The Saturday was about the best day and my brother managed to do exactly what I needed and get the front and rear wall up to wall plate height.

Monday was great weather too but I had to leave for work so work on the extension has stopped for the moment.

Trusses are due this week to befitted and hopefully the table end will be completed next week, unfortunately my brother can't do it as he works full time

Very short update as not been at home to get involved with the work...

My father has been busy fitting the wall plates and trusses, then had the bricklayers in to start erecting the gable end.

I'm back home on Saturday so can get my hands dirty again.

Bricklayers are back in on Monday to hopefully finish off the gable end

So since my last update things have progressed slowly with trying to get brickies and weather but slowly & surely, we have part of the extension, looking like an extension now.

The roofers took only a Saturday morning to get the roof on and the scaffold came down a few days later much to my neighbours satisfaction as they were kind enough to allow us to access their garden and place scaffold there for the gable end.

Ive spent the last few days ordering products and fitting the new fascias and guttering whilst the weather has been kind.

Next up is the rear extension brickwork to complete and get the roof on.

The one side is complete and hopefully the other will be finished next weekend as my brother is doing it for me and works full time so only has weekends off to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back