Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

Awesome family effort and hats off to you for taking on such a big project. Are you a tradesman or have you done building projects before? It's way more than I would dare take on.

Sponsored Links
Awesome family effort and hats off to you for taking on such a big project. Are you a tradesman or have you done building projects before? It's way more than I would dare take on.

Cheers,
I'm not a tradesman and admit to not doing the professional bits like, the brickwork.
I also will be reliant upon using tradespersons for the plumbing & electrics.

Everything else I'll have a go at under the guidance of my father who is a builder :)

I like to be hands on and see no point paying someone to do something I can do myself.
The new fascias, soffits & guttering costs about a quarter of what local advertisers charge and more often than not they just cover rotten wood etc as seen on virtually every house local to me.
Even my neighbour paid someone to have his done and I've finished it off for him as they short changed him and missing out parts, bloody Cowboys!!!

Ok, further photos of Progress...

Interior wall clockwork completed to roof pitch

Not too much been happening of late as Ive been working away and struggled to get a bricklayer willing to do the last bits of the job so my brother again stepped in on his weekend off from work to help out.

and the exterior view

Sponsored Links
The existing fence post seen in the corner was left purposely and the wall will be covered again with feather edge board so its not such an eyesore for our neighbour who has been awesome to date.

We share the rainwater pipe and I plan to run it down behind the fence and against the wall to where the rear extension end then connect it to ACO drains which will run the full width of the extension and into the storm water drain which is located in the opposite corner now

This was how I left it when I went away with work

But the has now been finished and the rafters are all fitted thanks to my father who's a chippy by trade and used to building factories and houses but should have retired 7 years ago!!!, so my little project is keeping him busy ha ha

When I was last back and as stated in my previous posts I purchased the facia, soffit boards and guttering and fitted those as far as I could, until the roof goes on (hopefully later this week) when I can fix the downpipes.

New extension

Existing house

All the brickwork is complete including the 2 course on the steel work where the bi-fold doors will be fitted.

and the roof rafters are on with the spaces created for the 3 velux skylights to be fitted, 2 of which will be manual and the 3 (centre) will be electric

Further updates to follow with photos as Im home for the week and will try to get some more done :)

So, the sun was out and the final preparations for the roof to go on the rear extension were being done

Noggings in the rafters and braces for the joints for extra support strength.

and the fascia board fitted, (my dad hard at work whilst i supervise ha ha)

So thats pretty much up to date with this thread as of today :)

So this weekends update is the ACO drains going in ready for the guttering from the rear extension and the main roof to be channeled into and connected up to the storm drain

The roofers were due in on Saturday thus the roof tiles and all the other products required were ready for them to crack on when they arrived

So when they did arrive, at 0715am, that was a shock to me as expected them at 0745 and i was still in bed ha ha.
they certainly didn't hang about and the new Velux windows were fitted in no time

Next up is to finish off the fascia and soffits then concentrate on getting the rear garden sorted.

:)

Looks great, i'm planning on doing the same rear extension to my house in the next year or so. Also i too will do most of the work myself with the exception of electrics and a few other bits. What size is the rear extension, how long has that part taken and do you mind sharing a rough idea of cost?

What size is the rear extension, how long has that part taken and do you mind sharing a rough idea of cost?

Hi Perry1980

The rear extension is 6.8m x 3.3m internally you have to take off the 300mm cavity wall thickness.
It's not as big as I'd like but the garden isn't big and that's the max width we could go to as that's virtually the width of the house & garage combined!!

I've done the build in stages as you can see from the start of this three and commenced mid September last year.

I'm paying as I go so there's no debt to the build, hence doing s lot of the work myself, sourcing products etc....

I've got a full breakdown on costs so far but as yet not put it into a spreadsheet it's just itemized.

You could do this build in a short time had you money saved, builders at the ready & all going to plan :)

We've had issues with bricklayers but not much else.

Just a brief update and bump....

I've had to stop all the expensive stuff at the mo' to save for next stage, garage door, first fix, new combi, bifold a, etc, so have started cleaning up and starting on the rear garden as I'd like to get this to some useable fashion so as not to have to do this once I start on finishing the rear extension to prevent damage by shifting, patio slabs etc...

Things completed since last update;
All soffits & guttering fitted
The rear bathroom window is in,
I've started fitting the 100mm celotex to the rear extension roof
Footings are in for the small retainer wall to patio
More bulk bags, concrete blocks & cement delivered for garden work
Stud timber delivered ready to start internal structure

So plans for this week
Fix flooring on first floor,
Build stud walls,
Position new shower tray & bath (being delivered Monday)
Cut out doorway and expose current foul & waste ready to connect
Build retainer wall in garden (weather permitting)

Photos to follow as I progress :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back