Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

Hi Gary thanks for that.

I thought the pitch looked lower then 20degrees,

Velux can go lower then 20 degrees, you just have to change the type of flashing.

And did you use 6x2 timbers or 8x2

Thank you Gary I appreciate the response :)

Sponsored Links
I believe they are 6". There is 100mm celotex between the rafters with a 50mm air gap :)

You may very well be correct on the pitch angle but I'll confirm later today :)

I believe they are 6". There is 100mm celotex between the rafters with a 50mm air gap :)

You may very well be correct on the pitch angle but I'll confirm later today :)

OK Gary thanks!

Thanks for replying so quick lol i sometimes have to wait ages for a reply when i ask questions here and there!

appreciate it

I thought the pitch looked lower then 20degrees,

HI Sonny

Just a quick update, I previously did a trig calculation on the roof pitch and it is 18 degrees.

The Velux & flashing were ordered accordingly, it was a while back so I had forgotten :D

Heres the cut out for the wall plate for the rafters....

Sponsored Links
Ok, latest update.

Had to break through the 'original' external wall to expose the back wall to the current bathroom and locate the foul pipe so we know where we are going to tap into.

started off like this

after a couple of hours, it looked like this

As you can see, one of the reasons for a larger bathroom was the dissect lack of light provided by the awful tiny window Persimmon fitted.
Also if you look half way up the wall to the right you can make out the original pitch of the garage.... In Persimmons infinite wisdom they built it right through the middle of the window!!
We are i believe the only house on the estate that they did this too, hence the original window frame still fitted and then the smaller one installed.

Next up was to break out in the area of the foul just to have an idea of the connections present.

Luckily I broke out in the right location and all was revealed

Finally today I cracked on with getting the loft boards in place as I wanted easier access through into the original loft as I don't intend to fit a second loft hatch.

Theres not going to be much loft space But ill make use of it and it gives the plumber & electrician a better platform to work from as the shower is a ceiling fed one and the electrician has to gain access of course to wire up all the lights and extractor fan.

So as not to crush the insulation I fitted the boards onto loft legs.

Ok,

So I've been nursing a broken bone in my foot but the build has progressed with my barking my orders ha ha, just kidding, a work boot, strapped up toes and pain killers has helped.

The electrician gang have been in and completed the first fix.... oh my god I haven't seen so many wires in my life ha ha.... thankfully all went well and the quote was upped considerably as i made decisions on lights, entertainments, plug socket locations, isolators, etc, etc

The bathroom is all but completely plastered now apart from one very small section.
I fitted the shower tray and fixed down the insulated backer boards for the underfloor heating.

My dad came over and utilised as much as the left over wood to box out the steel beams in the garage

They are double boarded for fireproofing regs....

We also fitted the front (escape) window and it was then boarded

As we are trying to complete the bathroom to a useable standard, actually complete it totally before knocking through to the existing house its a kind of juggling game moving everything around to enable us to work on different parts of the build.
At the moment, the whole boxed up bathroom is in there ready for fitting once it's been tiled

It was quite funny as we took delivery of the bathroom then had the window fitted as the larger bathroom parts, such as the bath, storage, toilet had to be carried up and into the open space where the front window was to go, only once this was done could we fit the window and finish off the boarding.
Ok so its not the usually way to do it, but its my project and ill do it how i like ha ha.

My dad then helped construct the rest of the stud wall which will separate the bathroom, front bedroom and hallway, with part of the stud (back of the shower wall) incorporating a built in wardrobe.
It will also house the isolator switches for the bathroom electrics so they are not on show

Heres my dad on a well earned tea break part way through the stud wall build.

Once that was complete, we moved back downstairs into the rear extension and commenced fitting the boards for the pitched internal ceiling.
with all the wiring in place and location noted, we were able to start boarding out.

As you can see, my dad doing all the hard work..... he's an absolute star. :)

Ive missed out a hell of a lot of info about what has been going on.

Ive fitted the lintels in the loft space and knocked though in to the existing loft

I raised the patio retainer wall another course as the tiles we are laying in the rear extension will be continued out on to the patio now and are only 10mm thick so I had to brick up the brickwork to allow for a concrete pad to go in and leave 20mm for the adhesive and tips which hopefully will fall into the aco drains that run the full width of the extension.

I then cleared the grass and placed a heavy duty membrane down before borrowing 6 tonnes of hardcore through onto the rear patio area and grass.
The grass was horrendous and always has been, it was more of a bog than a lawn, so I intend to lay some plastic landscape trays down on the hardcore, level it then maybe a coupe of tones of shingle under article grass just to maintain some greenery for our boy to play on.

The rear patio at the bottom of the garden is an odd size

as you look at the above photo, the dimensions are as follows
rear fence line 2.5m
left fence line 2.93m
right fence side 2.3m
front edge 4m

Having a made to measure shed to make best use of the space will cost a fortune no doubt, so I intend to build a single brick wall structure and stud wall fixing internally and halve it, with it being part play house and part storage.

The rear doors of the existing house i can use on the structure as the have to be replaced anyway for fireproofing and aesthetics so will not be wasted.

Update time,

apologies if this is not in the exact order as its happening but with working away and managing this project as well as doing a lot of the work, its been difficult to do everything ha ha

Anyway, we had started boarding out the rear extension roof and heres it completed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back