High voltage to low voltage transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
High voltage to low voltage transformers were found all around the town while on holiday in Turkey as shown here
they were feeding a 5 wire system all cables seemed to be on insulators.
Second picture here
out of interest I wondered what voltage the high voltage would be?
I would guess 3.3Kv!
And why all 5 wires on low voltage side were on insulators? I would have assumed 3 phases earth and neutral but seems odd to use insulators for earth?
Power cuts were common again I wonder why as one would have thought this would have been a reliable system?
One thing is the high voltage lines were below tops of buildings and it seemed common for people to drop baskets from the higher flats to street vendors and I wonder how many accidents have been caused will things touching the high voltage cables.
Any comments. The high voltage lines went into transformer buildings which seemed to be feed with under ground cables so maybe a lot lower than 3.3Kv but fuses between high voltage line and transformer don't seem too thick which is why I assume they were high voltage.

Sponsored Links
Correct! A lot of it is 3.3kv and the frequent power outages are down to the fact the lines are not tensioned like ours and so sway in the wind.

Sponsored Links
Back