HIPS, what is your view?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HIPS or Home Information Packs actually came into effect toady so I believe. aparantley the are being justified under the green banner and it is said that sellers will be punished for having their homes being engery inefficient and that they are likely to get knocked on the price.

It is also said, bearing in mind, I think, the scale is A to E, that
most homes will be a D or an E.

What a waste of time and money !

Hmm, you've seen a house, you like it, it is in band E, what are you going to do? Buy it of course. You could try knocking the seller, what'll they say? F off, that's what!

If almost every property will fail, what is the point.

Sponsored Links
A waste of money, a vehicle to make money, a way of slowing down the house price market.

The small print of the Government’s regulations states that including warnings about flood risk and other environmental hazards (including radon gas, contamination, and subsidence) in the Packs is OPTIONAL.................. :rolleyes:

Originally supposed to be a plan to stop gazumping, and make for a quicker sale.. What do we get :rolleyes: Just another fumbling law which brings property sales into the building regulations. I cant see where it's going to stop Gazumping.. maybe a nice vehicle for snides to do some gazundering.

I aint goin to move again fk it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Colin_p said:
Yet another extremist view of something that is almost universally misunderstood. Do you people wear blinkers when driving too?

If all law changes were radical and Draconian, apart from the even greater number of whingers and bleaters who would object, the effect would not be easily measurable or controllable.

The sensible way to introduce change is carefully, and in such a way that subtly alters trends. If you don't understand this principle then we're all very fortunate that you're not part of the government. :rolleyes:

If you want people to become more decent, then educate everyone with whom you come into contact to be more decent. I'd be willing to bet good money that the people who moan the most about gazumping, and with the greatest amount of righteous indignation, are the very same people who make brazenly illegal copies of CDs and DVDs, and who conduct the occasional bit of amateurish insurance fraud.

FFS. Grow up.

Softus said:
Colin_p said:
Yet another extremist view of something that is almost universally misunderstood. ............

If you want people to become more decent, then educate everyone with whom you come into contact to be more decent. ...........

FFS. Grow up.

1) Really? In the same way the government has allowed the number of late night bars to increase to the extent that many town centres are no go areas at night?

2) I'm sure your frequent use of "FFS" is a decent response to anything you don't agree with, will set an example of decent behaviour,.....not.

As a litle bonus the government gets VAT on the hip..and despite their claims that it is not an extra cost (just shifting from buyer to seller), since there is no survey, the buyer(s) will still have to shell out for that.

The government also gets a copy of the HIP to put on a nice little database somewhere. Given that they are wary about council tax revaluation at the moment, then this could be a 'revaluation' inspection by stealth. In a similar way as water companies are introducing water meters (new builds and people moving house instead of a wholesale change), they want to avoid controversy and protests. Over a certain period, the number of houses subjected to a HIP will increase until it reaches a percentage where they can say something like there will be a 'supplement' on council tax based on (for example) the energy rating, and now the rest have to be 'inspected'..

And a great way to get the 'customer' to pay for something they probably don't want.. ;)

According to the rules for the new HIPS they only apply to homes that have 4 or more bedrooms, so the average home is still exempt from them.

The original plan to include mandatory electrical, water and gas inspection reports has been scrapped. As I understand it the gas is still mandatory, but the water and electrical are not, though recommended.

Whilst initially a good idea with some real promise, the Government have, apparently, simply played with it so much as to make it largely meaningless in the current form and a simple piece of beaurocratic nonsense. That's my opinion based on what I have read about them in the last couple of years.

Ah, Grudge Dread: Champion of the Luddites! Long time no hear. :D

oilman said:
1) Really? In the same way the government has allowed the number of late night bars to increase to the extent that many town centres are no go areas at night?
Really? Are late night bars the sole cause of late night street violence? That's something I didn't know. I shall write to my MP. Have you written to yours?

2) I'm sure your frequent use of "FFS" is a decent response to anything you don't agree with, will set an example of decent behaviour,.....not.
Really? Anything? You don't seem very sure. Or is sarcasm to be the leading light for future generations?

Hips is a load of poorly implemented *******s. If I ever sell up I'll be taking my loft insulation with me and installing 150w lightbulbs in every room.

A potentially good idea has been ruined by what is and what isn't required. A compulsory HIPS containing a full structural survey and electrical inspection would be much more beneficial to the buyer. Just check the pics in the electrics forum or some of the questions asked in the roofing forum. There must be plenty of properties changing hands that could burst into flames or collapse in on someones head, oh, but at least you save £80 a year on the leccy bills :rolleyes:

You can only get a structural survey on an empty house. You can only get an electrical check by virtually dismantling the house.
Even then, it's just some other geezers opinion.

If the poorly trained mugs that are inspectors make a mistake (they will) and give your house an 'E' rating when it should have been a 'C' and thus devaluing it - then who do you sue?

When I left Australia they were bringing in a 'log book' for each house. The house searches were made once and entered into the logbook. If the current homeowner added something like an extension then all the documents were added to the log book. They were simply passed on to the next buyer and the onus was on 'owner disclosure' about the house whilst he had it. He was legally liable to give information to the buyer - or foot the bill afterwards if he didn't disclose.

Softus said:
Colin_p said:

Yet another extremist view of something that is almost universally misunderstood. Do you people wear blinkers when driving too?

Ha ! You've led a very sheltered life if you think that is an extremist, what on earth has driving and blinkers got to do with it?
If all law changes were radical and Draconian, apart from the even greater number of whingers and bleaters who would object, the effect would not be easily measurable or controllable.

Are you above the law, does the law not effect you, are you not ever going to move house? Why change a system that works perfectly well and self regulates and protects itself, both buyers and lenders?

The sensible way to introduce change is carefully, and in such a way that subtly alters trends. If you don't understand this principle then we're all very fortunate that you're not part of the government. :rolleyes:

No. If we are talking about being sensible. The very first thing that needs to be thought out is weather any change is neccessary at all.

If you want people to become more decent, then educate everyone with whom you come into contact to be more decent.

What on earth are you mumbling about? Introducing pointless laws and legislation will actually have the opposite effect. It will create contempt for the law and cause otherwise 'decent' people to suffer that contempt, except of course dinosours like yourself.

I'd be willing to bet good money that the people who moan the most about gazumping, and with the greatest amount of righteous indignation, are the very same people who make brazenly illegal copies of CDs and DVDs, and who conduct the occasional bit of amateurish insurance fraud.

More totally mindless drivel that has nothing to do with this.

FFS. Grow up.

Fool, stop believing what 'they' tell you and what you may read in the Daily Mail.

Softus said:
Ah, Grudge Dread: Champion of the Luddites! Long time no hear. :D

oilman said:
Really? Are late night bars the sole cause of late night street violence? That's something I didn't know. I shall write to my MP. Have you written to yours?

Really? Anything? You don't seem very sure. Or is sarcasm to be the leading light for future generations?

More nonsense!

You are advocating the wrong and undermining the right.

King Canute tried to denfend the undefendable in trying to stop the tide coming in.

Are you, Softus, King Canute ?

.....Anyone (other than Softus) up for a poll-tax riot?

Sponsored Links
Back