hot water but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i have hot water no problem. but central heating does not get hot, the pump sounds as though it is working.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if you could give a detailed description of your system, we might be able to suggest something.

sorry,it was a tad to brief. indirect system ,new pump last year, potterten suprima 50 boiler, danfoss randall switch< the lever on top of the switch is very loose and doesnt seem to do anything> hot water comes on no problem, heating came on once last week. i have had the thermostat in the hall on different temperatures doesnt help.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
my mistake danfoss randall valve< not switch>

MOD

please use the edit button

Can you demand HW and CH at the same time. if so try it to see if you get the radiators hot. It won't be for long because the HW will soon be satisfied (unless you run off some water).If it's ok under these conditions then the valve is probabley the cause if it won't move to the CH position or if it does move but does not supply any power to the boiler/pump.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
As detailed about by chunkyted, I am having the exact same problem.
I'm a woman and an obviously a little dubious about calling someone out without knowing a little more about what might be the problem...as knowing my luck some cowboy will see me coming from a mile away!

As chunkyted said, I have loads of hot water, the boiler is alive(flame thing) and it is making some noise but the radiators refuse to get warm.

I'm freezing here please someone help us!!

There are a few different types of Boilers and Centraling Heating systems and nobody will be able to help unless they know more detail.
Some systems have a motorised valve and I know these valves sometimes are the cause for faulty Central Heating. The valves can be in any of three positions, they move against a spring so usually no problem in the start position or the mid position but sometimes will not move to the third position or if it does sometimes the microswitch does not work and does not supply power to the boiler.
If the heating is ok when you demand both HW and CH it's almost certain to be a valve problem. But this is only if you have a motorised valve.
It can't be the valve, if you don't have one and you would then be looking to see if the pump is functioning ok together with the room stat.
As I said more detail would help but I feel you will still need a heating engineer to sort it out.
sorry you're freezing!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

three port valve ;)
valve.jpg

ok problem sorted! three way valve was sticking, if it happens again i will replace the valve as they are not to expensive,thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back