HOTPOINT OVEN WITH PLUG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed my old oven which was wired in to a wall socket behind this in a housing unit.A cooker switch higher up on the wall controls the power to this.My new oven comes supplied with a plug, can I simply remove the plug and wire up as my old one was connected ?.

Sponsored Links
Yes as long as it is rated similarly, but why would you want to remove the plug if it is connected to a "wall socket in a housing unit" or do you mean a cooker connection unit?Has it got a blank face with 3 connectors inside?

You are correct it is a cooker connection unit with a blank face with 3 connectors inside

Hi OP if the new oven has a plug top on it, it´s usually for a reason yeah

Check your oven manuals because normally if you cut the plug off you will void your guarantee. You would also have to derate the cooker circuit MCB as a safety measure more than anything else.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies so far.
How easy is it to derate cooker circuit MCB and how?

Disconnect old mcb, pull down latch, remove old one ,fit new one. Ensure main cb is off.

Gazill said:

If you are only connecting the oven to the outlet, then install a socket outlet in place of the cooker outlet.

Check that the cable at the cooker outlet is not smaller than 2.5mm2.

Install a 16A, type B, circuit breaker in the CU.

Mosez said:
Gazill said:

If you are only connecting the oven to the outlet, then install a socket outlet in place of the cooker outlet.

Check that the cable at the cooker outlet is not smaller than 2.5mm2.

Install a 16A, type B, circuit breaker in the CU.
Good thinking!!

I only joined today and I am amazed at the tips ,tricks and information available / offered by other members.
From the advice offered about my query would I be right in thinking that if I was to run a wall socket from the cooker outlet ( in the housing under the worktop) that I could then plug the oven in to would this be protected ok by the fuse in the plug or will I still have to change the MCB rating

I would certainly derate the fuse/MCB, as you never know what the socket may get used for in the future.

Providing the cable to the outlet plate (which will become the socket outlet) is rated apropriatly for the existing protection device (e.g. 32A MCB feeding 6.0mm² cable)

Then you are fine to simply replace the old outlet plate with a good quality socket outlet, without needing to alter any circuit protection characteristics, ast the fuse in the plugtop will provide the oven with the apropriate fuse rating.

I advise using a good quality socket front (such as MK) as the oven will be drawing quite a large load for often long-ish periods of time.

gman76 said:
I would certainly derate the fuse/MCB, as you never know what the socket may get used for in the future.

The cable will be capable of carrying 32A, so a 32A protective device is fine (the same as a standard ring final circuit)

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my post, the suggestions offered have given me all the information I needed to install my new oven.

Just to add a small spanner to the works, technically speaking, if the cable is suitably rated to the breaker and the latter is 30/32A, then you could leave it as it is.

What's wrong with a 30/32A radial wired in 4mm² or above, as long as:

a) the floor area served by it does not exceed 50m²

and

b) the EFLI at the destination of the circuit is acceptable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back