How did you become a plumber

J

Jessica87uk

Simple question really how did you guys get into the trade
What advice would you give yourself if you could go back
crack on x

Sponsored Links
There are a few trade courses of differing lengths and costs and I know of a few ladies that have got into the trade that way, you can also become a gas engineer in a similar way, it really depends on what you intend to do once trained, if you want to work on building sites etc or you want to work in customers homes or work for a local authority etc. the training is all similar but the work varies dramatically once qualified, so you really need to decide which aspect you want to do, but dont worry if you pick the wrong one you can always change jobs once qualified if you can find one that is

Started to work for a company, went to college, passed exams. Learnt something new every day until I was competant and went on my own. Still learn something new most days.

Knowing what I know now, the advise I'd give myself would be not to become a plumber/gas engineer.

Sponsored Links
By accident. :LOL:

Wanted to be a chippy, but the builder said the only apprenticeship he could offer was for plumbing.

Couldnt understand the initial college course I went on leaving school, (maths involved was beyond my 'C' grade!), so dropped out. Got a job on a building site, was advised (sensibly) to 'get a trade'. Went to Y.T.S. offices, after telling them several times I didnt want to be a decorator (no offence to the decs, but not my cup of tea and still isnt...), a nice lady said she knew a plumber and would bend his ear about having an apprentice. She did, and he agreed to take me on.

No regrets to be honest, it (eventually) led me to my current job with my local Water Authority, which I hope will see me through to retirement now.

If i could go back and give myself advice, it would be sod this and become a spark much easier :LOL:

Although I'm NOT a plumber (my official title is Combustion Engineer) I followed my Dad into the trade and family firm who supplied and fitted oil & Gas burners doing conversions from solid fuel to liquid and then in the eighties from liquid to gas - learned Mechanical & Electrical engineering (the two skills required to understand Oil/Gas burners) - after 38 years in the industry, Im the M.D. although I still can be found on the tools most of the time (I wouldn't have it any other way) and yes I still love my job! ;)

If you are the MD then you can create any job title you like!

I don't expect Jessica has any interest in how I came to do boiler repairs/installations!

Why should she be any different from the rest of us ;)

Left my old job years ago as a draughtsman and went to work for my uncle who had a small plumbing firm, went in as surveyor and estimator then plumbers mate then plumber/gas fitter. My uncle died and I took over the firm [/i]

Its like any other trade at the moment has its ups and downs but theres always work there.
The best advice I can give for somone wanting to be a plumber is do every job the best you can at a reasonable price and word soon gets around and before you know it you would have build up a nice collection of customers that will want to use you again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back