How do I remove the front cover of a Protherm 80e?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, my boiler has decided it's not going to strike up, and instead shows an F1 error code. I know the error code is basically telling me that the safety cut-out has kicked in (this normally happens when I run out of gas but can happen for numerous reasons.)

I've found on other forums that there is a reset button INSIDE the boiler, but I can't seem to figure out how to take the casing off. I've tried looking for a manual but the only one I can find is for the 80E, not the 80e.

If anyone could tell me how to get into the damned thing without breaking anything I'd be very grateful, as I can't afford to get someone out to do it for me.

Kyle

Sponsored Links
BOILER CASING
CAUTION: Do not remove or adjust the casing in any way, as incorrect fitting may result in faulty operation.
If in doubt, contact your Installer/Service Provider.
These instructions are from the 80E manual. I'm guessing that it may also apply to your model.

Dear Kyle
Unfortunately for you Pete is right that to remove the outer casing of this model you would be in breach of the regulations and improper refitting would make the appliance dangerous the re-sets you refer to are two overheat thermostats either or both may have tripped but its not just a matter of re-setting but finding out why they tripped in the first place, afraid you will have to get someone in shouldnt be too expensive I wouldnt have thought depending on the reason they have tripped in the first place, good luck Ian

Thanks to both of you for the replies, I'll see what I can do and post the cause/solution here for others.

Thanks again :)

Kyle

Sponsored Links
I've found on other forums that there is a reset button INSIDE the boiler, but I can't seem to figure out how to take the casing off. I've tried looking for a manual but the only one I can find is for the 80E, not the 80e.

If anyone could tell me how to get into the damned thing without breaking anything I'd be very grateful, as I can't afford to get someone out to do it for me.

Kyle

The reset button is on the outside, although you'll probably need an Rgi to fix the fault anyway.

A manual can be downloaded here

Just to update the thread, I've had a plumber look at my boiler. He pressed the internal reset button for the overheat thermostat and turned the boiler on. After a few seconds, the boiler cut out and showed an 'F3' error code which means that the heat exchanger is blocked. He's told me how to remove, clean and replace the heat exchanger myself - if he were to do it he would have to charge and he know's I can't afford it.

He also checked the hot water and pointed out that the diaphragm wasn't working properly. Would someone be able to point me in the direction of a replacement please?

The CE Certification is 49 AT 2727 (I was told I'd need it?)

Thanks for any and all help :)

Kyle

You need to get an experienced heating engineer to diagnose the fault a boiler cant tell you on a fault code that a heat exchanger is blocked it would only say in the manual that was a possibility, sounds more like your pump has gone to me but you will need someone to look at it

The plumber is an experienced heating engineer Ian, and even if the heat exchanger isn't at fault it wouldn't have cost me anything to find out.

How would I check to see if the pump is functioning properly?

Thanks,

Kyle

Look in the FAQ for the "finger test" on the pump!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back