How does one remove pebble-dashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a lovely end-terrace period house that has been pebble-dashed in the past. I personally can't stand the stuff and intend on removing it but would like some help and advise on how best to achieve this.

The age of the house would indicate brick work underneath and another house further down the terrace has had it removed and the brick work looks pretty good. I realise I might need to get it professionally pointed (is that the correct term) once the pebbledashing is removed.

Any advice would be a great help

I can provide a photo if that helps.

Teresa

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo Girl_&_pebbledashed_house and welcome :D :D :D :D

i would be more concerned with the state of the bricks you reveal

a lot of pebbledash is to cover crumbling bricks and removing pebbledash can expose [and also pull the front off bricks] dammaged bricks

you may be lucky and find only a few dammaged you may find more than half are shot you simply wont know untill you look

try looking at other identical houses in the street for guidance [renderd and unrenderd]

as i am no expert on the subject i would wait for other comments before forming an oppinion

The whole block of eight except for one has the exact same pebble dashing so I would assume they were all done together. One house however has gone back to the original brick work and it look beautiful. I guess there really is only one way to find out!!!

[/img]

Ask the owners with bricks if they had much remedial work done (repointing, damaged bricks replaced or patched up). This is very labour-intensive and has to be done well as it is very visible.

Sponsored Links
keep in mind the odd one out may not have been pebbledashed they may have gone the renovation route !!!!!!
a typical example is a council block with a bought flat in the middle

Agree completely..............have never heard of render/ dash being removed :eek: .....buy another house :confused:

Thanks for your kind words Nige. For someone with that many posts I would expect even you to have heard of removing pebble-dashing.

I've had several quotes from experience builders who thankfully have heard of pebble-dashing and rendering being removed.

Thank you

Girl_&_pebbledashed_house said:
Thanks for your kind words Nige. For someone with that many posts I would expect even you to have heard of removing pebble-dashing.

I've had several quotes from experience builders who thankfully have heard of pebble-dashing and rendering being removed.

Thank you

make shure you understand exactly what you getting for your quote

what standard of finnishing [repairing replacing dammaged bricks]if any

you may think the quote will be for the bricks to be finnished in an as new condition

the builder may think thats your problem as he is only quoting to remove the render!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops:

Thank you very much for all your good advice, I will definately find out exactly what each quote covers and will be sure to report back once finished.

Thanks again

Tx

Removing the render is quite expensive, then the brick work under neith needs to be scrubbed to get the small bits off, builders use a metal nibbler i think its called, its like loads of metal rods that are vibrating, anyway it may be quite expensive, and it is exposing older bricks to the weather, the render is there to protect your bricks, have you considered just having it painted in a nice colour,

personally if most of the street is still done, could you not better spend the money on the garden of exterior or a new kitchen etc etc.

hello

I have the same problem! 3 bed terraced house that has been vandalised with pebbledash!

did some research, and found a company mahon brickwork who gave me a quote and a list of previous work they did. I visited a few houses and the standard of work was very good. I have not personally had them do it yet so can not vouch for them, but suggest you check them out if you are london based.

http://www.mahonbrickwork.co.uk/brick_pebble.htm

the others are right in suggesting the pebbledash may be there to cover up a structural defect. Even if the bricks underneath are all a complete mess, it is restorable, but at a cost, as repointing and getting suitable coloured bricks is expensive and time consuming.

i'm planning on having it done in the summer.. feel free to message me if you want to know what they quoted for my terrace.

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back