How exactly 'are' new houses signed off?

Sponsored Links
The modern building site labourer is more often than not a cannabis smoker, and he will be high on the drug during work, nipping out for a quick drag whenever he can. On the job he won't see the bricks, mortar and lintels as they are, but as distorted visions. When off the drug he will be experiencing flashbacks and horrors, cold sweats and panic attacks. Imps and demons will be coming out of the wall cavities and tormenting him. As Lloyd Grossman almost said: "Who'd live in a house built like this?".

The labourer of the past would be a beer drinker. Cheerful and happy and looking forward to his hard-earned few pints at the end of the working day.
I'm beginning to think it's you on the drugs. Not seeing the world quite right. But happy.

Grand Designs is making much more sense now.

That said, my parents house is an inter-war build, by a local builder who built most of the suburb they live in. They are solidly built, and the only issues they have generally are where the previous owner did various bodges.

My Gran had a link detached (20 Sanderstead Avenue, NW2) that was flattened in the war.

She was terribly upset when it was rebuilt post-war because, in her words, "They'd built it out of complete tat.", although it looked a very solid house and is still very much standing today.

The garage has gone, but I remember my Grandad getting his F reg Triumph out to polish it every Sunday. And no, that's not a euphamism!

1674563657208.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My Gran had a link detached (20 Sanderstead Avenue, NW2) that was flattened in the war.

She was terribly upset when it was rebuilt post-war because, in her words, "They'd built it out of complete tat.", although it looked a very solid house and is still very much standing today.

The garage has gone, but I remember my Grandad getting his F reg Triumph out to polish it every Sunday. And no, that's not a euphamism!

View attachment 293561

Is it a GCHQ local outpost? ;)

I remember a while back a discussion about bringing new home sales within the sale of goods act, which they aren't currently.

This would give a right to reject and also repairing defects would be much more enforceable. But it never happened.

You never hear noise about the 'good' new builds. Maybe that's because there are so few, or because it's not as interesting... I went into one of them at an estate built over the old speedway stadium in a nearby town and was impressed. The friends/owners are happy with the house and they've been in it a few years now. They're located here:

To add to the trivia being posted about 1960s houses, my uncle purchased a new 'Wimpy' house in the late 1960s. The boundaries were set out with white wooden markers. He went down one night and spread all of his out so that his garden was wider. Those edited boundaries remain today and looking on satellite imagery, looks very obvious and odd!

Unless it's to do with keeping cost down, I'm struggling to understand why there can't be more checks made in each house being built, not just a portion of. I get the fact these houses are thrown up, however it's not as if a house is completed start to finish in 2-3 days. So even on a larger development, it should surely be possible to check e.g. 100 milestones/stages for each and every house, no? Although we refer to them as cookie-cutter houses, they're not literally rolling off the production line at a rate of 1 every 30 minutes.

it should surely be possible to check e.g. 100 milestones/stages for each and every house, no?
By who though? BCO's will say they aren't quality checkers, and they aren't. The home builders checks obviously aren't working.

There is no penalty for lack of quality in new builds. If someone was actually held to account for it then something might happen. Until then, no one really cares or has any motivation to provide anything better.

You never hear noise about the 'good' new builds.
We have a local 'house builder' who develops green & brown field sites into 10-40 units. He's well into his 70's & can't retire 'cos he still has this massive waiting list of potential purchasers & land owners who want to work with him. To look around one of his builds is sheer joy & a good fusion of old & modern methods.

We have a local 'house builder' who develops green & brown field sites into 10-40 units. He's well into his 70's & can't retire 'cos he still has this massive waiting list of potential purchasers & land owners who want to work with him. To look around one of his builds is sheer joy & a good fusion of old & modern methods.

I bet his children will have a very healthy inheritance! I hope his skill is passed on.

I know of a few blokes of similar ages working in furniture/upholstery around here. They retired but their sheer experience and skill made them very desirable and they'll all back in work on very attractive rates! Thankfully there are still young people going into and a lad I went to school with now has his own firm.

By who though? BCO's will say they aren't quality checkers, and they aren't. The home builders checks obviously aren't working.

There is no penalty for lack of quality in new builds. If someone was actually held to account for it then something might happen. Until then, no one really cares or has any motivation to provide anything better.
I don't have an answer to that as it's not my area. My underlying point is, whilst it's perhaps not reasonable to expect houses to have zero snagging, the issues many seem to have is nothing short of ridiculous. There should be a robust (as in genuinely robust) process in place whereby each and every house is checked at various points during the build. Take the example of my opening post. The pillars in each and every garage should be checked to ensure they're tied to the walls. As I say, who should be responsible I don't know.

I dread to think what lurks behind walls, under baths, under floors etc. I bet some of the plumbing is real quality ...

Sponsored Links
Back