How exactly 'are' new houses signed off?

Have you not seen the videos of the utter ssh!te that's signed off as fit for sale these days? My house was built in 1961. The quality is leagues ahead of the depressing dolls house dimensions rubbish being thrown up today. I'll take my 60s house over modern any day.

I didn't know there was a 25mm spec. for the spec for the gap between stair handrail and where it passes anything else. I catch my fingers in the gap between mine, I must measure it. It's mid 1950's build.

Sponsored Links
My first house, 35 years ago was a new build. Snagging list was vast! Build quality was terrible, which, was only noticed once we started living there...

Sponsored Links
A pattern emerging.
Oh really? Never come across white collar people who are drug users, Andy? I am now even more firmly convinced that you've never been near a building site in your life. The other thing is that on medium to large firms' sites these days there are mandatory, random alcohol and drug tests - and a number of previous employers I have subbed to have had a no drink policy, which means if you get seen coming out of the pub across the road at the end of the lunch break you get sent home for the afternoon, turn in intoxicated in the morning and you get red carded (barred from site for the duration of the job). The Daily Mail really needs to research its' stories better - next thing they'll be saying is that MDF is banned in the USA

And just so you know, a LABOURER is (relatively) untrained and classed as unskilled. They sweep.up, they hump materials around BUT THEY DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING. The people who install stuff are normally skilled tradesmen (with qualifications, no less). So by all means call the TRADESMEN or WORKMEN, but kindly stop being so bloody ignorant and referring to us as labourers. After 4 years as an apprentice and a further two as a journeyman/improver I, for one, am NOT A F@@@@@G LABOURER!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any house bashers I've met would definitely fit into the habitual weed smoker category. Also off their t*ts on Red Bull and think nothing of sh*tting in a carrier bag.
Sounds more like the spreads (plasterers) to me, than any other trade. They always leave the labourers some presents in pop bottles...

Despite all the forgoing, I'd still love to know how you can use a mitre saw and still retain all ten digits whilst also stoned out of your gourd and earning the big bucks. Something doesn't add up, methinks

Oh really? Never come across white collar people who are drug users, Andy?
There are takers of illegal drugs in all walks of life now, sadly. It is one of the greatest evils of our age
I am now even more firmly convinced that you've never been near a building site in your life.
I do wish I'd never been near a building site in my life, I'm a rustic at heart. There's an old saying that you are never more than x feet away from a rat. Nowadays you are never more than 100 yards away from a building site...they are everywhere. Most are not big sites, most are not professional, many employ foreigners who work in flip-flops.
I, for one, am NOT A F@@@@@G LABOURER!
Calm down, I didn't say you were.
.....and think nothing of sh*tting in a carrier bag.
:LOL: I've never heard that before, can believe it though!

By never been near, I meant worked on one. Many people have misconceptions about sites. A lot of those who have misconceptions seem to be in the white collar middle classes (the ones who'd break on a sweat at the thought of hard physical labour, and who'd probably pee themselves working off a 75ft cherry picker)

Most are not big sites, most are not professional, many employ foreigners who work in flip-flops.
The vast majority of new housing in the UK is built on large sites, with professional management andcwith the HSE and council always hovering about in the background. I don't work on small builder sites as a rule, and I just cannot recognise this site with "foreigners who work in flip-flops". Sounds more like some fly by night house build in Karachi. You don't live in Karachi, do you? (Can't be the UK because a LOT of the foreigners have gone home since Brexit) There are cowboys in all walks if life. I prefer to avoid cowboy builders in much the same way that I try to avoid cowboy solicitors. And I'd say on bigger sites, with safety boots, no shorts, hi viz tops, hard hats, ear defenders, etc and proper safety policies you stand a far better chance of going home in one piece every night - but the spreads still.leave bottles of **** everywhere, the dirty b.....

Calm down, I didn't say you were
No, but you did go on about houses being built by labourers - when they obviously they cannot be. There are idiots, good guys, lazy sods, grafters, chancers, perfectionists, liars, cheats and even thieves on every site. If you are building a team you try to pick out the better ones and keep the weaker ones away from stuff they can stuff up. That way you can deliver results. A bit like people in teams in office work, really. Or at least according to my missus, who spent much of her working life in offices

Isn't it obvious that Andy lives just.outside Karachi, @noseall? To him they are all "furriners"

Most are not big sites, most are not professional, many employ foreigners who work in flip-flops.
I think andy11 is talking about the many small sites building extensions and conversions.
I can vouch for that.
Around here I see this all the time, workers with no ppe, flipflops and using tools in a way that it is at best considered "taking a chance".
Of course the big sites are all regulated and this doesn't happen.
But it doesn't mean that things are built properly, I say this for first hand experience as I have seen horrible and even dangerous results.

Sponsored Links
Back