How long would it take you to undercoat..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
188000_187603_46153_55356183_thumb.jpg

the right hand side in image.
Size is 2.1M x 2.4M 20 windows each 48cm x 30cm

I'm not a pro and it took me just short of 2 1/2 hours in 35 degree heat (in the shade!)
My friend who owns the property told me that is very slow! The left hand side took me roughly the same.

I did suggest she showed me how to do it quicker but the offer was declined.

Pros and DIYers please leave time estimates, very interested to know

Sponsored Links
If it's neat then that sounds like good time to me. BTW I thought you were painting it rather than staining it.

I am painting it Joe, there are another set the same as these to the left and today with a good quality paint brush and adding quite a lot of thinners to help the undercoat run better I got the time down to 45 minutes. I actually did the 1st set in 1 1/2 hours not 2 1/2 as above, that's a typo.

I gave the set in the pic a 1st top coat today and that took me roughly 1 3/4 hours, again thinned paint and a good brush. I am amazed the difference a good brush makes, 1 pass cutting in saves so much time.

188000_187603_47855_61965942_thumb.jpg

Left is white undercoat right is new top coat
Reckon I lost a few pounds in sweat though and as I am on day rate I won't be going at that speed again.

Will probably be doing it again next year as she was told by a friend, who i now call The Oracle, due to the fact she thinks he knows everything, that it would be ok to just put the gloss straight on the varnish! Took a long argument to get her to let me put undercoat on. I made her promise she wouldn't tell anyone I did the job! This is the same guy who told her she should just varnish over the original varnish and it would look great. I told her I had asked professionals (you guys) and she still wanted to listen to him. When I asked why she would listen to an ex army guy instead of Master decs she replied, "He painted his whole house himself so he must know something"! I was going to point out that Master decs had probably painted thousands of houses but by now had figured I might as well bang my head against a wall. There is no telling some people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back