how much for a combi boiler & 7 rad system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
moved into my place middle of last year, only box that wasn't ticked when i viewed the property is it had the original boiler (ideal mexico) along with hot water cylinder.

british gas were out the other day for the first service but advised due to age of boiler (no parts available) they couldn't take it on the full homecare package and could only offer the annual service package. i'm always a bit dubious when a company says 'no parts available' as i'm pretty sure there'll be a supplier out there somewhere but regardless there's no denying the system is old and could do with being replaced, it's 'kettling' etc etc.

so, can anyone advise as to a ballpark figure for getting a completely new system supplied and installed, combi boiler (decent make e.g. worcester), 7 rads, new pipework, the lot basically. i live in a 2 bed bungalow and there is reasonable access under property. i fully appreciate quotes will differ but am i likely to be looking at circa, £3k, £4k, £5k, more?

seemingly i qualify for the government scheme of up to £400 due to age of current boiler and if i go with british gas they offer a package worth up to £350 over and above the £400 (includes 1st year homecare free etc) but i'm wondering if a reputable smaller local company might be the way to go?

Sponsored Links
We're doing systems at £1.7K plus vodka & tonic. But we do 100s in a year.

Sponsored Links
keep it, unless your unhappy with it. All 2 functional parts are still available for this boiler. Standard honeywell gas valve and ranco t'stat. You'll never have a more reliable boiler ever again so make the most of it :)

keep it, unless your unhappy with it. All 2 functional parts are still available for this boiler. Standard honeywell gas valve and ranco t'stat. You'll never have a more reliable boiler ever again so make the most of it :)

Death of a Salesman!!! What's is wrong with you guys, don't like making any money???!!!

Death of a Salesman!!! What's is wrong with you guys, don't like making any money???!!!

The OP lives in your neck of the woods, so the others haven't lost anything unless they are into long-distance installs.

Hope they haven't rained on your parade though. ;)

Its a decent hike from Glasgow to Fife ...

The people that love to tinker with old boilers tell you to keep it, but I bet none of them are offering to stop the kettling for you ;)

BG will just keep pestering you to buy a new one, and if it breaks they'll suck their teeth and tell you "tough".

If it works well, I'd agree with keeping it, but it sounds like it doesn't. How much will it cost to get it working well? How much next year? Do you really need the new pipework and rads? If you do then that's a good incentive to replace the boiler at the same time. A grant is another, but is it tied to particular installers (in other words not a grant but a scam)?

Can't see any reason to pay any of the numbers you mention. Under 2k for the whole system is a nice price, I'm sure many legitimate quotes would be over 2k, and BG will be over 3k (over 4k?).

A grant is another, but is it tied to particular installers (in other words not a grant but a scam)?

It work by you apply for the grant
they send out a number
you pay full price to anyone you choose
send gov receipt and number then they send you the cash

BUT the boiler scrappage scheme has finished

Not sure if there's still money available on the Energy Saving Trust boiler scrapage scheme, there was two weeks ago. But it's not something I deal with daily.

Fife is not an area we cover, sorry. But you could get some prices from any SNIPEF member firm in your area. The names of whom you'll get from the SNIPEF web site.

I'd certainly advice a completely new system given that your home is not huge.
HTH

80% of my work is repair/service work and its growing as my business does. Eventually I'll either stop installing or employ someone to do installs, either way I'm happy telling people to keep boilers if there's no reason to change it. Its worth trying a couple of bottles of X800 for a week to try and stop the kettling. This is diyable.

80% of my work is repair/service work and its growing as my business does. Eventually I'll either stop installing or employ someone to do installs, either way I'm happy telling people to keep boilers if there's no reason to change it. Its worth trying a couple of bottles of X800 for a week to try and stop the kettling. This is diyable.

Almost all my work is service and repairs. For instals I pass the call to another plumber (me not interested in instals). Too many muppets cutting own throats underquoting and cutting corners so why bother doing 'free quotes' when f**kups through cheap instals mean more work for me,

thanks for all the useful replies guys ... oh and yours pedanticvindictiveman :rolleyes: tbh when it comes to the central heating i'd rather leave it to the pros bar things like fixing minor rad leaks, changing trv's etc.

tbh i'd love to leave it for now if nothing else due to the fact £££ isn't exactly abundant at present. yeah as i say i'm dubious re: british gas saying no parts, i have a btl property and they advised the same re: the gas cooker in there ... funny how 5 mins on google and i found the (genuine) parts, british gas just came back at me saying the company not on their 'approved list.'

that aside, when you guys mention circa £2k for a new system, is that with a quality boiler and quality materials in general? i'm all for lower prices but not if it's going to cost me in the longer run if you see what i mean.

my mum got british gas to install a completely new system about a decade ago, i'm sure it was around £3k then and the best bit was it was subbed to a small local company, the even better bit was the guys son was away on holiday so he had to do the works himself within the same space of time, not saying he cut corners but to this day there are more than a few annoying clicks here and there!

mickyg, i'll try the x800, thanks for tip.

As always I don't disagree with you Danny or others, but give the overheads etc a company of our nature has, we'd always go for the bigger sale & turnover.

I also believe in the OP's case, now maybe the time for an upgrade. But hey, none of us know all the facts or the true condition of the system.

As always I don't disagree with you Danny or others, but give the overheads etc a company of our nature has, we'd always go for the bigger sale & turnover.

I also believe in the OP's case, now maybe the time for an upgrade. But hey, none of us know all the facts or the true condition of the system.

tbh the last thing i want to do is shell out for a new system and if the existing one keeps going for another year or so that's more than okay with me ... having said that the property was built mid-late 80's and i think it's the original system so 20+ years old. plus i never have the hot water on as it's false economy for me to heat all that water just to wash my hands and do dishes (electric shower) so i just boil the kettle when i need hot water. so a combi would suit me i.e. hot water created on tap when required.

if it's the case that a quality system can be installed for circa £2k then that's a lot more appealing to me than i anticipated i.e. £3k+

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back