How to fit wiring into an electric cooker to install same?

LV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I just had my new electric cooker delivered and unpacked only to find it had no cable connected at the back for me to then simply wire in to the connector panel on the back wall. I am not v happy about this as I am now supposed to pay extra for and then wait further days to get an electrician to call to put a cable on the cooker. How do I fit the wires onto the back of the cooker unit to then install it myself at the wall which is after all only like fitting a 3 point plug?

This is saturday early evening and I have food waiting to be cooked because even though I explained to the assistant in the shop when I was buying it that I would probably fit it myself as it is only a 3 point plug at the wall...she kindly didn't think to tell me the cooker didn't come with any prewiring?

thanks....in starvation meanwhile

Sponsored Links
A plastic one (with the outline of a screwdriver on indicating it can be prised off) behind which there is a long ridge like panel with various wires comming down from the insides connected to it.....under the area of the panel on the outside again it is a further connection piece with two screws in it possibly to hold a cable? one either end.

ok.

As its a new cooker, it will have installation procedures.

I'm GUESSING it will say to use 6 mm cable top connect.
But you need to verify that.

IF it stipulates 6mm - then you cannot wire it direct to a 3 pin plug!!

It HAS to be connected to a 'cooker connection box'

Sponsored Links
Hi yes I am aware of that but what I meant was that connecting the cooker via the connecting panel on the lower part of the back wall is usually as easy as wiring in a 3 point plug...two wires and an earth....a 3 minute job ....IF there is a cable connected to the back of the cooker itself...this is what is missing and there is no clear guidance I can find in DIY books or the net to let me get that part dealt with too. How difficult is screwing screws off and on to attach wires in a preset configeration once the type of wire and the configeration itself are known?
Appreciating your responses by the way...nice to know someone is out there in the wide world and wide awake <g>

Velvet

( Some cookers work from a simple plug-in, - others require 6mm connecting to terminals at the rear of the housing.)

You connect a length of 6 mm from the cooker switch to a 'cooker connection unit'

Normally sited out of view - and you connect the two 6mm 's (from the cooker and the switchplate)into here

So, you need to pop out to B&Q (or such) and buy a couple of metres of 6mm Twin and Earth cable and a metre of earth sleeving.

Then. you connect to the back of the cooker > red to red ... and black to black.
you slide on a length of the earth sleeving over the bare copper wire connect this to the 'earth' ( green -yellow )
you have to be sure to secure the cable with the little clamp that sites below.

Make sure all terminals are thoroughly tight.!

Then, MAKE SURE THE ELECTRICTY IS OFF!!!

you connect the other ends of the 6 mm to the cooker connection box !!

Remember
Electricity kills !!
if you're not confident/. dont do it.. go and buy a big mac !! and book an electrician !

I'l lbe here for a short while if you get stuck.

one question,if the old cooker was all gas, does that mean you do NOT have a cooker connection point? we havent got one as our is all gas

edited by me for typo

and the cooker will be slotted into a fully functional electrical connector point against the back wall of the kitchen. Place fully rewired 6 months ago.

Not being funny but no-one has mentiioned looking on the rating plate for the total consumption.

fact is there is not a lot of 'consumption' taking place at the moment...as I haven't a wired up cooker <g>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back