How To Tell Someone They Smell & Not Offend Them??

Reaction score
Country
Palau
We don't smoke nor do we or any of our friends/family.

We have good friends they smoke and they stink. I lied and said the smoking triggers a cough
and we don't go to theirs even though they dont smoke inside but the stench is
there. They do come to ours but ensure they have not smoked and had a bath/shower, so that works all around.

The problem is some friends bought a dog during the lockdown and they stink of dog.
We, unfortunately, went to their house looks clean but they have carpets and
fabric sofas. I nearly puked and e lied it was a flying visit and left the inside within 10 mins and stood outside at the front door chatting for another 10 mins. They came to ours to give us a Xmas card and presents and the stink was like a wet dog, something you've stepped into on the pavement when a dog owner has not cleared up their mess. They are decent people and they have a small house and IMO as they keep it quiet warm and leave the dog inside when at work the stench has worked into their clothing etc. They do keep the dog clean but talking to another family etc we all agreed that keeping a do in a small house with carpets/fabric sofas will lead to smells and the owners and other keepers get used to it.

How do we tell them as we are having a small birthday bash first since covid and they have always invited us and they have always invited us to all functions. - no parties during the lockdown and we all played safe even when mixing was allowed inside. If it was the summer then we could have the little do outside but its cold and rains.

I do not want to offend them but most none pet owners can smell dog on others I'm advised just like none smoker can smell the stench of smokers. For sure dog owners will insist they don't smell just like smokers and I can understand that to a point. IE I don't drink often these days but like a good drink when with family/friends but when I have not had a drink and someone has the drink on the person makes them stink.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

We have good friends they smoke and they stink. I lied and said the smoking triggers a cough
there. They do come to ours but ensure they have not smoked and had a bath/shower, so that works all around.

The problem is some friends bought a dog during the lockdown and they stink of dog.
fabric sofas. I nearly puked and e lied it was a flying visit and left the inside within 10 mins and stood outside at the front door chatting for another 10 mins. They came to ours to give us a Xmas card and presents and the stink was like a wet dog, something you've stepped into on the pavement when a dog owner has not cleared up their mess. They are decent people and they have a small house and IMO as they keep it quiet warm and leave the dog inside when at work the stench has worked into their clothing etc. They do keep the dog clean but talking to another family etc we all agreed that keeping a do in a small house with carpets/fabric sofas will lead to smells and the owners and other keepers get used to it.

How do we tell them as we are having a small birthday bash first since covid and they have always invited us and they have always invited us to all functions. - no parties during the lockdown and we all played safe even when mixing was allowed inside. If it was the summer then we could have the little do outside but its cold and rains.

I do not want to offend them but most none pet owners can smell dog on others I'm advised just like none smoker can smell the stench of smokers. For sure dog owners will insist they don't smell just like smokers and I can understand that to a point. IE I don't drink often these days but like a good drink when with family/friends but when I have not had a drink and someone has the drink on the person makes them stink.

Thanks
Very Humanitarian TW@

Sponsored Links

Thanks
Can anyone smell anything when they come round to your house?

Who would want to come to your house if you have that attitude towards your friends?

I'm sure they would not if they ever find out how I/we really felt as I would not. However, they are nice people and I think I'm too fussy when it comes to smalls like that and it does make me nauseated. Sadly, too many people are offended if they are told they smell. A friend of mine at work did not use deodorant and not always but on hot days he smelt of BO. As he sat next to me ie about 4/5 feet away some started asking me if I could not smell him and wanted me to say something but I did not have it in me. Eventually, someone told me someone had a word with his line manager and that stopped the problem later on it transpired it was his jacket and washing that more often did the trick but as I said I did not have it in me.

I'm actually very aware of smells and may have a very sensitive nose my family tells me as I often complain about food smells as well unless I'm eating it or with them. We are all different and I wish I did not have an over-sensitive sense of smell.

Funnily when smoking was allowed in pubs etc my mum used to ask me if I smoked, I did not but now know how people carry smell that is around them.

Thanks

:rolleyes: Has does some one tell you that you are a b*** end with out causing offence :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just ask them round and put it too the back of your mind.

If you read my posts you'd know it is not that easy, I wish it was.
I feel awful and as disclosed in my posts even my family say I have a sensitive nose. I do I know
I have and like I said when I'm not eating and someone else has eaten the smell hits me even alcohol.

What I may do is swerve it and hope its warm enough and sunny enough to allow us to open up
the folding doors in the kitchen and living room and hope they don't smell as much and steer clear, cowards way out I guess.

Sponsored Links
Back