How To Tell Someone They Smell & Not Offend Them??

lol, I had to look up the word. Never considered it or tried it and won't.

We all have different levels of smell, taste, hearing etc etc as that is what makes us human.

However, I wish I was not that sensitive to smells

Sponsored Links
My missus bought me a jumper for Christmas on behalf of my old man. She bought it mid December and gave it to me dad and said don’t bother wrapping it. When I got the prezzy on Christmas Day the jumper stunk of fags. His missus is a smoker. Had to wash the jumper before wearing it.

God awful stench ridden cancerous sticks of hideousness.

My missus bought me a jumper for Christmas on behalf of my old man. She bought it mid December and gave it to me dad and said don’t bother wrapping it. When I got the prezzy on Christmas Day the jumper stunk of fags. His missus is a smoker. Had to wash the jumper before wearing it.

God awful stench ridden cancerous sticks of hideousness.

I hear you. The post reminds me of bringing the stench back home after work as I often did visits last thing in the day and went home. Even before the smoking bans, I used to tell customers not to smoke as I was allergic to it most took it well and even opened the windows for me but the stench was engrained in their property. When the new laws came about I had to leave one property after the bloke refused to put out his cigarette. Sadly, most of my co-workers were too fearful to walk out. I even refused to enter a few properties where there was do mess on the floor. One incident about 17/20 years ago went to customers to assess their request, the place was one of the worst I'd seen. I reported the mess to another dept that provided homecare and their manager, she said to me ' my carers go in' - I had to bite my tongue and not be rude to her and told her I'll take it further and guess what, the manager called me back within two mins and said she will go out there and then report back. They cleaned the place and provided extra care and support to the couple. It paid for me to stand my ground and the funny thing was I was quite new to the job and in councils, many a the time took hieracky

seriously and never be told what to do from someone below their grade no matter how accurate and polite the lower grade worker was. The funny thing is that manager became a phone friend of mine and I did learn a lot from here re care/etc and IMO she was a better person.

My work via the council visiting people's homes for assessments really opened my eyes to the fact that from the outside many properties looked unassuming but what I found inside needed a lot of help.

We all have different standards of living but there are expectations by most of us.

Sponsored Links
I cannot stand the stench of tomato ketchup, the stuff Heinz make.
Makes me want to puke.
Horrid sugary stuff.

Although I will eat food with proper tomato relish in - as different as chalk and cheese those two are.

I call one of my dogs "Alfredo Stinksaditch" because he liked to sit in puddles a lot as a pup (still occasionally does). :)

I cannot stand the stench of tomato ketchup, the stuff Heinz make.
Makes me want to puke.
Horrid sugary stuff.

Although I will eat food with proper tomato relish in - as different as chalk and cheese those two are.

I call one of my dogs "Alfredo Stinksaditch" because he liked to sit in puddles a lot as a pup (still occasionally does). :)

As I said, we are all different.

I love the smell of chip shop vinegar.

Chip shop vinegar ? often acetic acid etc. I never have it - proper stuff @ home;)

My OH
is baking a cake and the humble home smells sooooooooo lovelyyyyyyyyyy. TBH, its a cake mix but so yummy smell.
They say when selling you home, bake a cake or bread,yummy.

To be honest they probably prefer spending time with their dog over some two faced xxxx.

i had to put a job back to a mate i prewarned him that it absolute stunk and was manky , 1 bed flat 2 greyhounds 2 mongrels and a cat .
We've all had them - especially on council or housing association properties (to be fair some of them were spotless and I felt quite guilty about going in and making a mess, others I felt I needed to wipe my feet on the way out of the door, and the odd one was were so bad that I wouldn't even enter because they smelled so awful)

I live with this because I love dogs - end of.
We used to have cats, three of them, and found that most of our friends are also cat owners, but even there we know a couple of people who insist on keeping unneutered tom cats - and they really stink, even to us

Some of it is psychological, though. For example in the 1970s I worked on one job where a manager complained about my personal hygiene, which my boss found rather odd as he'd never noticed a problem. It turned out that Mr Perfect, the manager, detested what he called "hairy, smelly hippies" - and at the time I happened to have very long hair and blue tinted granny glasses (a bit like John Lennon) which I just happened to fit in with his skewed view of the world and of hippies (in fact I was a motorbike riding greaser, oh well). I'm pretty sure that I smell ripe at the end of the day, some days, these days, but as there is a fair bit of heavy manual labour involved in joinery so that is unavoidable, but the thing that my missus dislikes most is the smell of soot, which you always get at the start of the job before all the old brickwork and floors are cleared out

I've never smoked, and I used to hate the aftermath of going to some pubs on Saturday night because my clothes smelled so bad that I had to was them next day, and I sometimes had to shower and wash my hair before going to bed as the smell was so bad. My missus didn't notice until she quit smoking, but she does now. Thankfully pubs and restaurants smell a lot less these days

Chip shop vinegar ? often acetic acid etc. I never have it - proper stuff @ home;)
I never have it, either, but the smell evokes memories of when I was a kid every time

I'm glad my post took you back to your childhood :) Btw, the main reason i go to the chip shop or have them delivered is becuse of the vinegar you cant get anything like it but use sarons for other stuff. My OH keeps on telling me they use cheap, old oil etc but it's just getting them out of the bag and smell.

Re cats, you make a valid point.

Spot on re bans in pubs etc re smoking. I worked at the council before the smokes ban but ours brought it i before the law changed. Up until that
the point I just accepted accepting people's dangerous smoke to enter my lungs along with the stench.

Re stench some people smoke these cigs from abroad I think where they roll them as you walk past them on park benches etc i jest you not it stinks like dog mess

If you want real chips go over to Dublin - quite a few of the "chippers" over there still fry in dripping or lard (you can tell which ones by the smell) which may well clog your arteries up, but the chips are wonderfully golden brown and taste absolutely heavenly! When I lived over there it was a once a week treat for me to have fish and chips from the "chipper". Not found anywhere in the UK like that since I was a kid

If you want real chips go over to Dublin - quite a few of the "chippers" over there still fry in dripping or lard (you can tell which ones by the smell) which may well clog your arteries up, but the chips are wonderfully golden brown and taste absolutely heavenly! When I lived over there it was a once a week treat for me to have fish and chips from the "chipper". Not found anywhere in the UK like that since I was a kid
Thank you, but tBH I don't think we will ever go there but you reminded my of my of my siblings living in the west midlands - their chippy,my mouth is watering already - their chips are coated in some type of light breadcrumbs and they always get them for me when i arrive I just eat the chips.
yoummy, yum yum

Dublin is somewhere that everyone should go to at least once - I've lived and worked there and it's a great city

Sponsored Links
Back