How To Tell Someone They Smell & Not Offend Them??

Look at the stick you have taken from mentioning dogs it would be ten fold if you had mentioned cats were people allow them to stand pish and shyte in a box usually in the kitchen then walk about their worktops and furniture etc and house stinking although they cant smell a thing

Sponsored Links
Look at the stick you have taken from mentioning dogs it would be ten fold if you had mentioned cats were people allow them to stand pish and shyte in a box usually in the kitchen then walk about their worktops and furniture etc and house stinking although they cant smell a thing

The reason I did not mention cats as anyone we know has them or aware of.
You are right re cat p, it stinks like bad fish and I've been in homes via works years ago where I had to throw away a pair of shoes the ones i kept for going into dodgy properties. Since that time I wore shoe covers going into a property I had never been into before as a safeguard but not on any subsequent visits if it was clean. I recall owners asking me why I was wearing those covers at times and I told them it was to safeguard them as I'd been to not a so clean home.

Cat hairs durig my work as at the time I wore a nice wool coat you could not get them off as well as dog hairs and as i settled into the job I bought my 'going to visit customer homes' coats easy to remove hair and wash.

The smell is there re dogs and it makes me heave and like it or not most dog owners' homes smell of dog some worse than others just like most dog owners from my experience.

Cigaraeetes, heavey smokers are worse as they smell as well and if I went into their homes trust me it got into my skin.

Re our friends - slept on it last night and hope its nice weather so we can open all the folding doors etc to the garden and if not, we have real wood floors and leather sofas and a very big room so easy to clean and stay away from the smells of dog and like someone here said I will try to put it "out of (my) mind"

The reason I did not mention cats as anyone we know has them or aware of.
You are right re cat p, it stinks like bad fish and I've been in homes via works years ago where I had to throw away a pair of shoes the ones i kept for going into dodgy properties. Since that time I wore shoe covers going into a property I had never been into before as a safeguard but not on any subsequent visits if it was clean. I recall owners asking me why I was wearing those covers at times and I told them it was to safeguard them as I'd been to not a so clean home.

Cat hairs durig my work as at the time I wore a nice wool coat you could not get them off as well as dog hairs and as i settled into the job I bought my 'going to visit customer homes' coats easy to remove hair and wash.

The smell is there re dogs and it makes me heave and like it or not most dog owners' homes smell of dog some worse than others just like most dog owners from my experience.

Cigaraeetes, heavey smokers are worse as they smell as well and if I went into their homes trust me it got into my skin.

Re our friends - slept on it last night and hope its nice weather so we can open all the folding doors etc to the garden and if not, we have real wood floors and leather sofas and a very big room so easy to clean and stay away from the smells of dog and like someone here said I will try to put it "out of (my) mind"
i had to put a job back to a mate i prewarned him that it absolute stunk and was manky , 1 bed flat 2 greyhounds 2 mongrels and a cat . As he is working on boiler in cupboard he lit a fag to let the smoke go up his nose to mask the stench . Tenant tapped him on shoulder and asked him to put it out as it will make her house stink ..(n)(n):ROFLMAO:

i had to put a job back to a mate i prewarned him that it absolute stunk and was manky , 1 bed flat 2 greyhounds 2 mongrels and a cat . As he is working on boiler in cupboard he lit a fag to let the smoke go up his nose to mask the stench . Tenant tapped him on shoulder and asked him to put it out as it will make her house stink ..(n)(n):ROFLMAO:

Well, there you go, even you noted the smell and some would not EG someone that lived like that.

Re our friends, they have appearance-wise a nice very clean home as are they but it's the ingrained smell of dog - not as bad as many I've met via work but as I've been away from the work-related smells, I guess it smells worse just like cig smoke since the ban as you have less of it forced in your face shen you see/smell it its worse.

Sponsored Links

Lol, just reread your post. I'm safely assuming the owners though hose smelt was a 'non-smoker'??

I recall from one of my previous jobs going into musty smelling homes as did the people living there - it was sad as they were old and frail and often stayed/spent most of the day in one room and not aired.

We try to air our humble home several times a day especially we are now home daily and not going out to work.

Best way to remove smells is have real wood floors, leather sofas and plastic blinds. In the kitchen do not buy real wood kitchens as the hold the smell and it gets ingrained have the high gloss finishes as easier to maintain and always turn on extractors to the limits.

I pick and choose my friends.
I don't go to places where dogs live indoors because I too have a very sensitive sense of smell.
My sister has 3 dogs and every time I have to go there I open all the windows.
I haven't eaten there for the past 10 years, I can't stand the smell of dogs, but they're oblivious to it.
When I used to work, many times I priced myself out of jobs because the property was smelling.
Recently I dropped a friend to look at a property to be redecorated.
The walls were greasy :confused: and the carpet looked like it had never been hoovered.
I deliberately wiped my feet on the way out.
Surely such people couldn't be my friends.

I cannot stand the smell of old cigarette smoke, if someone comes near me after being in a closed area to me they stink and it makes me want to puke.
So I don't go near them, I certainly wont let them in my house or car.

However I'm sure that I do smell of dogs as does my house - I have 2 big dogs and it cannot really be helped that there is a dog smell.
I prefer to be in the company of other dog owners so it's not too bad.
I live with this because I love dogs - end of.

I cannot stand the smell of old cigarette smoke, if someone comes near me after being in a closed area to me they stink and it makes me want to puke.
So I don't go near them, I certainly wont let them in my house or car.

Agree.
Looks like you missed the bit that our friends did not have a dog until lockdown.

I pick and choose my friends.
I don't go to places where dogs live indoors because I too have a very sensitive sense of smell.
My sister has 3 dogs and every time I have to go there I open all the windows.
I haven't eaten there for the past 10 years, I can't stand the smell of dogs, but they're oblivious to it.
When I used to work, many times I priced myself out of jobs because the property was smelling.
Recently I dropped a friend to look at a property to be redecorated.
The walls were greasy :confused: and the carpet looked like it had never been hoovered.
I deliberately wiped my feet on the way out.
Surely such people couldn't be my friends.

Thank you. I've said in my posts people/family state I'm too sensitive to smells but
if you read my post and most likely you missed the bit about - our "friends bought the dog during lockdown." therefore we were
not aware.

Several here that can't stand the stench of dog smell and I'm not referring to the clean dog as it often does not smell or smells nice its the effects of of even a well looked after dog of average size being locked up i a warm house for many hours what has carpets, heating on etc.

As you said some people cant smell dogs and one of the family not sure why has a low sense of smell but they are clean and I know this when we talk re nice and bad smells they say they cant smell anything/hardly.

IMO, keeping a dog you need tiled or wooden floors, regular washing of the dog, airing of the rooms and cleaning. Sure its easier to maange those little dogs often smaller than cats but it the average-sized and bigger ones, and I do hate the smell.

We'd love a dog but we would not have the time to give the dog the care and attention especially when we go out on hols, work etc and the thought of daily walks at least two in the cold/rain etc so not for us.

"when I'm not eating and someone else has eaten the smell hits me"

If that is really true then I'm afraid you are the problem, not the rest of the world.

"when I'm not eating and someone else has eaten the smell hits me"

If that is really true then I'm afraid you are the problem, not the rest of the world.

It is indeed a fact and posted honestly. We are all different and some can put up with things and others can't.
I am who I am and I wished I was not re smells but in my judgement, it is how you live, the circles one mixes in and what is acceptable or not.

As I post this post I recalled me being, trying to keep my school uniform clean the parasites, so-called friends of mine at high school must have been at the age of 14/15 at the time at times kicking me to get mud on my clothing as they felt I was "too smart." These days, I would not say I stood out as being extra smart as the youngsters and middle-aged people, on the whole, have a lot more money and much more choice and ordinary people dress like movie stars. Having said that people in their 60 dress A1.

Re smells, it is not my fault I can't stand dog smells coming from people or cig smoke stench. I've even mentioned that I find the smell of alcohol off-putting if I've not been drinking as well as food smells if not eating. The bacon smell A!1 but having eaten it the after smell is not great but the worse one is boiled eggs ad again when I have them its not bad but going into a place that are having them is not nice.

We do air our home it is pretty open plan and we always have the extractor on full blast. It does not cost a lot of money to keep clean and not smell.

I love garlic bread but not have it in our home for years as it stinks the place out - I had it the other night when we were out and hardly the pizza.

My other half calls me a hypocrite re food smells and I don't disagree and therefore we stopped garlic-based stuff in our home and don't have bacon in the evening and agreed the oven and microwaves are cleaned after some smelly food is heated etc. I guess the cleaner you try to stay the worse it bacomes when you meeet people that don't have the same standards as yourself.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back