I know I'm overweight, but....

Sponsored Links
Wife and I always say medium is the English option, the safe middle route. I guess going on the prices that is how the seller sees it too!:D:D:D

Sadly not.
My post in a different thread:

Just want to say that not all fat people are lazy. I know that weight gain is all about the relationship between energy in and energy out, but some people (me being a good example) have multiple health conditions that mean losing weight is very difficult.

Amongst many other issues, I have pituitary issues leading to:

Hypothyroidism, causing

Tiredness
Weight gain

Constipation
Aches
Feeling cold
Dry skin
Lifeless hair
Fluid retention
Mental slowing
Depression

Hypogonadism, causing

Decreased muscle mass and strength
Osteoporosis
Fatigue
Difficulty concentrating

Growth Hormone deficiency, causing

Low energy
Decreased muscle mass and strength
Weight gain, especially around the waist
Feelings of
anxiety or depression
Thin and dry skin

Hyperprolactinaemia, causing

Bone loss
Decreased muscle mass

All the symptoms marked in red contribute either to weight gain or difficulty losing weight.

Sponsored Links
Me, I'm just "big boned"!:whistle:
Re-reading that, I guess that could be referring to something else! :D:D:D

I find that if I go hungry for long periods, I lose weight. Also, it's a fact that if you eat less than your body needs, you will lose weight.

Well, you can't tar all fat people with the same brush - some are better marinated with BBQ sauce (JOKE!) - but as securespark states, there are genuine medical reasons that can contribute to some people being overweight.

On the other hand, as you suggest, there are many morbidly obese people who just don't have the willpower to lose weight and then try to blame it on genetics. (Again, some may be genuine, but most are not.)

I was shocked into losing almost 3½ stone a few years back when I realised that, at 17st 3lb, I was technically classed as obese and that most of my excess weight was around my middle - the worst place for future health problems. However, at 6' 2" tall, it wasn't really noticeable, and when I reached 13st 12lb, I looked like death warmed up, although I did feel a lot fitter and more energetic. Everyone said I looked sick even though, technically, I was still right on the borderline of healthy and overweight (BMI). I've gained almost 2st back (through choice), but have kept a healthy exercise program which has ensured that the weight has been gained all over, rather than just around my waist, and now I'm even fitter and feel healthier than I did after the weight loss.

Losing weight isn't easy, and keeping it off is even harder, but it can be done if you set yourself small goals at a time. I think some people look at their weight and think there's no way they can lose 5, 6... 10st, but if you think of losing 1st and then, when that's done, losing another, I believe most overweight people can achieve a decent amount weight loss.

Most fat people are fat because they eat too much.Then the health problems arise from that.Then they blame being fat on the disease or condition they have....cutting out the original cause ie too much food.i never see a fat person eating healthy food!!!!!!Fat people take responsibilty..its your fault..not society.not the world.stop shovelling food in!!!

You are correct.losing weight is not easy.many things in life are not easy.that does not mean you cannot achieve it.or its someone elses fault.i never see a fat lass with a salad and bottle of water.thats for sure.

Between June and December when I am not so busy, I go to my club with a friend. One week I drive and he drinks and the following week it is vica versa. On the way home 2 years ago when it was my turn to drive, he asked if I would mind stopping at the chip shop. I did and when he came out with a largish wrapped package, I asked if he had bought supper for the family. He replied that it was not and that he had bought 3 fish suppers for himself. I said nothing because I knew he was 18 stones and following a weight loss programme. The following week I asked how he'd got on with his 3 suppers and his reply was that he hadn't. He had intended to eat the huge meal in bed but drink had got the better of him and he was sick over the lot. I was glad. That 18 stone friend is now touching 30 stone!

Various conditions can affect your ability to exercise or slow your metabolic rate but everyone has the ability to go into calorie deficit. Steven Hawkin can't move but he still uses x amount of calories a day. If he eats to much he'll gain some weight. If he stops eating he'll starve and get even thinner. Fat people who say they can't lose weight are simply taking in too many cals.

I don't think any folk don't really know that too many cals equal putting on weight, but the thing I've noticed here is the lack of reasons why. It doesn't just have to be that they are greedy! Some folk who are highly stressed over eat, eating for comfort can be another reason why over eating as does depression, low self-esteem etc. I think that with some, they need some support to change the way they eat by sorting out the reasons behind it.

Thanks Blightyman. I'm a comfort eater and need another source of comfort so I can cut down on my food.

Sponsored Links
Back