Ideal and Homeserve should be ashamed

Sponsored Links
Neither.....British Gas.... want to get involved with boilers over 10 years old unless they have been on annual cover before they reached 10 years of age.

Not true. It will be eligible for a one off repair or a contract at any point in it's lifetime no matter it's previous history.

Windbag, Nickso says that BG will cover a one off repair to your boiler!

Try them and see if they will fix it for you. Either as a one off or as the beginning of a contract which might be £99 to fix followed by about £199 for cover for the rest of the year.

But watch their price, it may come in at more than a new boiler would cost you.

If they do refuse to touch it then you have no where to go because Nickso conveniently hides his name and location.

Tony

Windbag, Agile doesn't like being wrong which unfortunately involves most of his life.

Try them and see if they will repair it, if they won't do a one off repair they will tell you why and you will not be charged a penny.

If you know what the price of your contract is and you are happy with it I fail to see why the cost of a new boiler should come into it.

I am not responsible for refusals for contracts or FXP's, as far as I know there is nothing in any BG contract that bases a refusal on time or age. Agile convienently forgets why I hide my identity and forgets it makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of my advice.

He also forgets his personal failings such as......oh yeh illegal gas work. :)

Sponsored Links
As nickso says BG have no age policy on repairs only if parts are obsolete.
Never fails to amaze me how many things Agile gets wrong about bg , gets corrected then spouts it again.
He has memory of a goldfish

If you are so hones and helpful, Amy, why don't you tell us here on the forum so we all know about it? And please don't pull the old trick of Data Protection Act because that only applies if Gaswizzard WANTS it applied.

Well to my mind, a fixed price means a fixed price.

Not @we'll rock up for half an hour for this much, then stay for another hour for this much more. Oh and if this bit is a bit shagged it'll be this much extra; if we feel it.@

Sadly, as with married life, I don't have a count of all the times certain things have happened; but I can assure you I have a healthy number of customers with functioning boilers despite a BG engineer telling said customer that X fan/PCB/gas valve etc., etc., was no longer available, and yet, a little jaunt to a local HRPC has produced the required part.

I will agree with the obsolete bit although all guys should work off same agenda they dont .
As for fixed price they are open about it 3 prices depending on time taken as opposed to price of parts all clearly worded on the web site and paperwork.
Bit like a car service they cost different amounts on level of service you are getting

They're not advertised as "fixed price" though.

I have not in any advertising seen the BG fixed price thing sold as a "kind of fixed price".

As I understand it you are half way through the booking procedure before the different costs come up.

...As I understand it you are half way through the booking procedure before the different costs come up.
When I called them, there was NO mention of any price increase until I asked: "so this £89 will get the problems solved no matter what it is?"
Then it jumped to the next stage (£269 iirc) and again NO mention that that would not necessarily be the end until I asked: "so £269 gets the boiler going no matter what?"
VERY unethical.

Have a look on the web site its all on there same as the leaflet that comes with gas bills .
You put up a big big list of terms and conditions the other week but think its strange that BG do the same they dont hide it its up to to people to understand what they are buying the same reason why you have term and conditions is it not?

Yes I put a list of terms and conditions up.

But I don't advertise "fixed price repairs".

I provide "estimates". Or I tell the customer what it will cost.

If the cost is variable I tell the customer why and by what method. I will also discuss ways to mitigate that variableness.

You know you're on a sticky wicket with this one ;)

is that not what bg do , tell the customer the price will be variable.
I dont work for them , but i genuinely dont have a problem with how they advertise it as it is quite clearly set out .
i do advise customers to use the fixed price option explain to them the 3 tier structure and advise that it will come into the 200 quid mark as its usually for boards orcdi divertors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back