Ideal and Homeserve should be ashamed

Sponsored Links
Because they openly say there is 3 fixed prices depending on time required to do job.
And give the 3 time frames nothing is hidden

The website is wonderfully vague.

On one page it is both a fixed price, and a "from" price.

Competitive prices from £79

This includes:
Competitive fixed price repairs, no matter how complex the job.
Boiler diagnostic and safety checks, to quickly identify the problem.
Parts and labour included*, so you avoid costly extras.

Funnily enough there is no mention any where of the three tiers, or what those tiers cost.

Put your postcode in and the vagaries get begin:

Our engineer will provide you with a fixed price quote after an initial inspection before commencing any work.
Competitive fixed price repairs
Boiler diagnostic and safety checks
Parts and labour included*

One off repair subject to availability.

The T's & C's are not much help either.

Sponsored Links
Just got off the phone to them.

Yes they were fairly up front about the tiers - although I did open with the question "how fixed are the prices".

When I asked if the £79 included parts - including a £300 pcb it got a little vaguer:

Trying to produce a transcript...

Couldn't get to me until next week either ;).

I think their tariffs also depends on you customer status.

I have 4 BG accounts and get offered some good deals, although I don't think they know much about intergas boilers yet. :rolleyes:

The FXP's should be solely down to postcode. Contracts will vary between customers for a number of reasons.

Seems as usual the left arm has no idea what the right is doing. If they are being vague on the phone or website it's probably because they know nothing about boilers. It's these callcentre promises that make my day a misery sometimes.

I do it pretty simply. I'm in the house for something stupid or quick, even if it involves a part then it's tier one. Most jobs will be tier two, no matter what the price of the part is up to a "reasonable limit". Tier three is rare for me and the few times it has happened the customer has said no, even if I told them it was a genuine bargain.

Like a lot of BG experiences it's down to how lucky you are with the engineer you get on the day.

And what is a "reasonable limit"?

Bit like my experience with Bosch today with some kitchen stuff.

The £10 or so mounting pack will be sent FOC as a gesture, but the £237 for the Micky mouse bit of metal needed to extend my expensive cooker extractor wasn't.

£4 of wafer thin poorly shaped metal in a box and they want silly money.

Anyone remember the lifetime warranty on Vauxhalls. 100000 miles or 5 years(IIRC). Hardly a life time is it?

Three tier fixed price regime as long as its reasonable, within a time limit and if the call centre bint hasn't screwed up the recorded call?

Come on guys! Nine limit my public BG bashing most of the time - but!??!?!?!

And what is a "reasonable limit"?

Three tier fixed price regime as long as its reasonable, within a time limit and if the call centre bint hasn't screwed up the recorded call?

Come on guys! Nine limit my public BG bashing most of the time - but!??!?!?!

And likewise you know I won't blindly defend them.

Sadly as usual it comes down to what your manager will have you do. At the moment time is the least important part of it as that can be changed by the engineer and generally isn't looked at by others. Parts cost is what they are watching like a hawk now.

Reasonable limit to me means a pricey pcb but it doesn't mean I will fit other expensive parts that may have failed as a result or for seperate faults as well. Some customers will have a list of 10 things to fix on an FXP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back