ideal icos he24 boiler broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi have a he24 boiler which has no display on the front, no hot water or heating have checked power up to pcb all seems ok, changed the pcb with no luck, refitted old one and then changed the front display with the on off switch and still no change. I can't go any further with my diagnostic skills, has any one come across this before any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why didn't you try the new control panel with the new PCB? Both these components are prone to failure. If you keep chucking parts it will get very expensive.

Both parts fail together? I did think when i had sent the pcb back that it might be both, but i was worried i would be stuck with two expensive parts and still a broken boiler. Thank you for your help.

it is not uncommon for multiple concurrent part failure due to the fact that a failure in one can take out the other! There is unfortunately little incentive for manufacturers not to design in this way. I am not suggesting they are intentionally designed this way, merely that little thought seems to go into mitigating the risk.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know i have fitted the pcb and the front display with no joy, does anyone know if there is a trip switch on it or is there something obviuos i am not doing to get a display on this boiler. thanks andy

Are you certain that the PCB is receiving power? Also, have any jumpers that exist been set correctly?

Mathew

it is not uncommon for multiple concurrent part failure due to the fact that a failure in one can take out the other! There is unfortunately little incentive for manufacturers not to design in this way. I am not suggesting they are intentionally designed this way, merely that little thought seems to go into mitigating the risk.

Mathew

Yeah just like leaking heat exchanger on Ideal Response takes out the fan.
A little better thought with the arrangement of the fan would mean it wouldn't kill the fan as well.
Even I could think of that one. Why don't the manufacturers ask the engineers before they go into production. It's like the designs don't even
think about what could go wrong.

ravenheat fan failure takes out pcb

Make sure the main electrical plug under the boiler
Is connected properly
I've had a few loose ones causing exactly the same problem

Most often I find that a leaking AAV has damaged the display PCB or sometimes just its connector arrangement.

In turn the over current damages the main PCB.

Its easy to build protection into the PCB but maybe the manufacturer LIKES them to fail as they can then sell another.

This boiler is a good example of when a fixed price repair is good value.

I now rarely go to repair them although the last one was a minor adjustment and for £84 very good value for the owner. But the heat exchanger was leaking inside and will need changing sometime.

Tony

Most often I find that a leaking AAV has damaged the display PCB or sometimes just its connector arrangement.
What a rubbish design. Anyone who's done the slightest bit of plumbing has probably encountered a leaky AAV :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back