Ideal Response 120 - Any help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideal response 120 boiler has packed up...no HW or CH for the last week. When tap or heating turned on, fan starts turning etc, but then ignition does not happen and light does not come on.
But then out of the blue, this morning the boiler lit wahey, only to make a HORRIBLE loud, grinding noise :eek: so i quickly turned the hot tap off! Now back to before and not working again.

Pressure @ just under 2..is that too high? Have heard bad things about this boiler and the spark/electrodes?? but under 3 years old so don't really want to fork out for a new one

Any help greatly appreciated as now dreaming of a hot shower!!! Thanks very very much

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I think so. Sorry not very clued up on boilers.
When i switch on HW or CH, everything begins as per normal and sound fine, but only thing that doesn't happen is the ignition/flame. It started playing up on and off a few weeks ago but now totally doesn't light. That is except for this morning when it lit again out of the blue but accompained by a really nasty, loud noise....any ideas would be great.

Suspect a leaking heat exchanger.
You really need a corgi out to drop the burner and check for water.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like fan bearings seizing, hence the screeching noise and lack of ignition.

Original post states fan runs but will not light. The fan on a Response is an Ebm modulating fan. It works from a fan speed board so does not have bearings.

Winnit does the fan run ok prior to attempted ignition?

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I think the fan does run prior to ignition. Only reason i say that is the boiler sounds exactly as it should prior to ignition but just as it comes to ignite, there is no "whoosh" to signify the flame kicking in. It then sounds normal but obviously without it being lit so hence no HW/ch...sorry, hope i kinda make sense!

As for the nosie yesterday, no repeat this morning as it didn't light again. Had this problem about 6-8 months ago but sadly got stung by some dodgy guys who claimed it was the PCB41 board?!?! - replaced it, charged a fortune and it started working, only to give up again a few months later...lesson learnt. Will go through proper channels next time.

Do people think it is repairable?

to be fair all the fault finding guides for this boiler will lead you to the board wheather its at point 39 or 41...does it spark, or click like it should spark? and have you got a multimeter?

It clicks like it is trying to spark but doesn't manage it.

I have read somewhere else that it might be because the spark electrodes might be too far apart...does that sound reasonable or completely wrong!?
I agree that all the fault finding points towards the circuit boards but i think i should leave those well alone!!

oh, and excuse my ignornance but not sure what a multimeter is..

To be honest with you I would suggest getting someone out to look at the boiler.
Make sure the engineer is familiar with the boiler prior to visiting though.

If you are within our area take a look at our website and make your own mind up.

Could be gas pressure, ignition/detection probes or absolutely anything.

Could be that the boiler needs a proper service, could be that the ign generator has gone or is going open circuit under load, could be a lot more, where in london are you if your north and outside N.C.R. then might be able to help, I also carry most spares for this model on my vehicle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back