Ideal Response Combi Pilot light/powerflush question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Ideal Response Combi boiler, and a contract with British Gas HomeCare.

It stopped working on Thursday, with a low pressure light, and the guy from BG arrived on Friday and nicely fixed it. :)

On Saturday, we wake up to cold water again, and the low pressure light on. I repressurised it easily, but the light wouldn't go off. So BG come out again today (can't fault the speed!) and tell me that sludge has blocked the sensor. He fixed it, but now the pilot won't light. The boiler is making all the right noises, but when the whoomp for the pilot light goes, nothing happens.

So, he doesn't know what is wrong, but has ordered new parts, and will send someone on Tuesday to fit them. Today's BG guy was ok... but I wasn't super impressed with the slightly blank looks he was giving my boiler when he couldn't work out what was wrong!

So, why am I posting? I have two questions:

1. Is there any button or anything I can press to try and relight the pilot? No shower for three days is starting to take its toll. If not, fine, I'll wait for BG again. My much more compentant Friday engineer is coming then.

and the more important question

2. The problem with the sensor was caused by sludge. BG guy said the only option was a powerflush. He estimated this would be £900 or so.

This seems on first glance to be far too much. What should be the cost of this, and how can I tell if this is really needed? I asked about the cost of a new boiler, and he said regardless I would have to get a powerflush.

I have a tiny flat with 3 radiators, 2 sinks and 1 shower using hot water. All on one level, and mostly new pipes from a renovation last year. Radiators were all drained and moved at that stage - not sure if that would clear/cause sludge. Not had trouble in the past - except for one time the pilot wouldn't light, but it sorted itself out after an hour or so. Otherwise the boiler has worked day and night admirably.

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks

Kath

Sponsored Links
there is no pilot light.

the boiler is failing to ignite. the response is a dog of a boiler that should have been culled at birth. wait and see what the guy puts on it on tues. im guessing its going to be ignition electrodes or something along those lines.

the problem you have with the powerflush is that you live in london and therefore must be cast from solid gold and be able to afford their london weighting for this service. london is the only place in britain that i would recommend a third party for a powerflush.

As nick says this is a dog of a boiler

My advice is dont powerflush it get rid of it, the system shyould be cleaned for a new boiler anyhoo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back