Ideal Standard Minimiser SE problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Standard Minimiser SE (condensing boiler) that is proving difficult to sort out. The problem is that every morning the boiler fails to light - both hot water and heating circuits are calling for heat, and the thermostats are working, but no flame.

The boiler runs through the ignition sequence, but does not light, although the fan keeps running, as though it had. If I stop the boiler by any of the advance switches, or the master switch on the boiler, give it a few seconds to stop, then restart, it will light OK.

Also, later in the afternoon when the heating comes on for the evening it ALWAYS fires.

Can anyone give me a clue what to look for? I'm begining to think it must be temperature related, but cannot imagine which component(s) could give this problem - it's driving me mad!

Any ideas welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Ahhh the Minimiser, when was it last serviced PROPERLY, it is a condensing boiler and suffers with a build up of ally oxide in the heat exchanger, this causes problems with ignition and detection if not thoroughly cleaned yearly.

Ideal have a new pcb for the boiler (which I have fitted on numerous occasions) which gives the boiler 5 ignition attempts instead of one before locking out.

You need to contact a corgi engineer with knowledge of this boiler and all will be fine.

BDL,

Thanks for the response - it gets serviced each year and, supposedly, all the oxide is removed. It is due for the next service in about 2 months.

I have to say, I was surprised at how much oxide I found in the combustion chamber when I checked it out earlier today. In my other house we have a different Ideal condensing boiler (Maximiser?), which has a flat flame bed - never get any problems with oxide in that one - just leaks from the condensate tray until Ideal sent me the revised design that has welded seams, rather than silicon rubber over spot welds.

I found that the ignition electrodes have distorted - the hooked one has wilted away from the burner core, so that probably won't help (new one on order). Would you recommend fitting the new pcb, even if the new electrodes fix the ignition problem, also, any idea what that would cost?

Only change the pcb if the poor ignition is causing you alot of probs, as I said it gives 5 ignition attempts including purge times so it overcomes the damp oxide probe scenario.

about £75.00 for the pcb( it is their pcb 41 part number 172853)

Make sure your spark gap is 5mm and the detection probe is in line with the burner ports.

Maximiser good boiler, no longer in production though, they have the Imax condensing boiler now.

Hope this helps :)

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Sounds like a similar problem to what I have.

I have an Ideal FF50 condensing boiler and have had it for 4 fustrating years!

Each April and Oct (no joke) it fails to light for about 3 wks. It can sometimes take 30+ manual attempts with the rotary dial to get it to light.
Sometimes I get fed up and give up.

When it starts to play up, I give it a service/check...

Clean out exchanger
Check for sparking
Check position/condition of spark electrodes
Test burner pressure 8.6mB hot
Test differential fan pressure - OK
Test incoming pressure
Check dry fire sensor etc - all OK
On refit ensure sense pipe is properly sealed

But it still fails to light even after service!
I don't think a five attempt control PCB would help me!
I've tried slight over-gasing and under-gasing - still refuses to light.
I've tried adjusting the pilot screw (but I don't think this does anything on this model as there is no pilot!).

Both gas valve solenoids are being driven and you can hear a clicking noise as the larger lower solenoid gets powered.

But no gas! Have a got a lazy valve or blocked jet of some sort?

My girlfriend goes mad at this time of the year when she gets up and its cold lol!

In 2wks the boiler will be OK again for 5 months! Bizarre!

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Nick

Blimey mate two extrmeley different boiler with different problems and they are both similar to yours??? :LOL:

this is a Forum for jobs that can be accomplished safely by untrained but keen individuals unfortunately the law of the lands states that the work you describe has having done MUST be undertaking by a COMPETENT person

I would advise you contact a qualified engineer ASAP to rectify your problem. Others on this forum may think differently

I have the Ideal minimiser SE and am experiencing problems.
First problem was the PCB got wet and blew up.
I had an engineer fit a new PCB (3 attempt version) and he sealed the leak in the boiler and it was fine for 2 months, Then every now and again there would be a bang coming from outside, It turned out to be the boiler ignition being wrong. It would light eventually but took 2 - 3 manual attempts.
And to top that it is really cold this week and the boiler will not not fire up at all.
The previous engineers phone is no longer ringing so I called another engineer and he said would not touch the boiler if another engineer had been working on it.

I assume the ignition is controlled by the PCB and I am tempted to buy a new PCB to see if it cures the problem.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back