Idon't understand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Tile cemented edging tiles between the shower base and the wall.
These are the facts:
2 x walls are plaster board which are tiled to the ceiling.
edging tiles have been applied with adhesive & grout in one(unibond)
they have been fitted properly and adhesive/grout was left for 2 days to go off.
pipework and drain are OK I've checked.
After a couple of days of use slight cracks appeared in the grouted edges
Water started leaking through to the kitchen
Applied Silicon over the top and bottom edges of the edging tiles (properly)
Silicon has been left for a couple of days to cure
surfaces were clean and dry when silicon applied
after a couple of uses a couple of slight cracks appeared in the silicon.
I think that's everything
Still leaking aaaahhhhhhh I don't understand.
Can anyone help please?? :confused:

Sponsored Links
So am I right in thinking that it's leaking where the tiles meet the tray? Or have cracks appeared in the grout higher up the wall?

the clue is in the description ,plasterboard an unibond mud an grout mix

I think without seeing it ....the plasterboard has got damp an is not fit for the job now ,

whatever grout you use ,it is water resistant ..not proof ...best to use a powered cement based mix (BAL has Never let me down in the past !)
but then the substrate what holds the tiles isnt plasterboards , a good waterproof base is a must !!!

Plasterboard are a big NO NO in shower areas ,

the substrate should be either marine /wbp or cement tile backer board Never Plasterboard .....
If I were you I would take the cubicle down, take off the tiles an plaster board an start again ...sorry :( :(

I agree plasterboard isn't the best surface to tile onto around a shower, but lets just see where the problem lies before we get the guy to rip it all out eh Moz. :rolleyes:
There was a guy on here a week or two ago that use WBP and he had the same problem - that seemed to be down to movement in the walls that was causing the grout to crack a few feet up from the tray. That's why I was asking where it was leaking from.
Let's just weigh things up properly before we jump in with both feet huh?

Sponsored Links
gcol
with all due respect .....:)

that guy was here for 4 weeks an in end ripped it all out anyway ..lol
he heard so many remedies an potions an bullsh*t ...DIY Help

he had the same /exact problem .... FACT ....

he tried silcone this way an that ,
ALL A DEAD LOSS ..
in the end he ripped it out ... ;)

I sent him to a UK trade tiler site an asked him to say same problem topic ...
Answer
rip off start again ...!!

plasterboard will absorb moist/damp an tiles fail ..FACT

gcol
an I quite recent the fact you would question me here ,on a topic well versed an been my life for the last 24 years :(

anyway its a bad substrate ... it needs replacing , my view

let everyone give a tip ,lol :)

as it still pours through your kitchen

(runs through kitchen ceiling must say something ,not drips like a grout fail /trap leak lol )

let the diyers give there point/cure now ...lol lets hope within 4 weeks like last time ..lol

my mates just tiled a full bathroom, wall tiles about 20" *10" straight onto plaster board, what problems will happen or might? and what is the procedure for tiling on plasterboard? Hes tiled the floor with 12"*12" tiles stright onto ply is this correct and what is the procedure? cheers

My understanding is there are three types of gyproc being 1/ Normal Gyproc 2/ Miosture Resistant Gyproc 3/ Fire protection Gyproc. Therefore i would assume it would be wise to use option 2 in Shower areas and bathrooms. However wether this is done in new build homes i am not sure of !

wet areas /showers
... its marine ply /wbp/cement backer board .....Fact

jbonding
"is this correct and what is the procedure?"
try using search here ..lol duh ..

mods this is a wind up a*sehole d*ck head ....Oh Dear ..lol :) :) :) :)

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT ..

this part of the site is proper diy help by pros an helpful info ...

I gave my point of view which I TOTALLY agree ...

I dont want to get in an arguement here .....

an Im a b*stard for it ...

which Joe90 could of done very easy before ,
he left an he could quite easily have run the thread wrong but I applaud him , thanks ...:)

lets keep the bullsh*t to proper boards ...;)

Moz, I suggest you have a read of the gibberish you are writing tomorrow morning when you've come round.
I'm not disputing that regular plasterboard isn't the best thing to tile onto round a shower. Just that seeing as though the guy has already done it, if his problem is that it's leaking from the tray/wall seal then lets try and sort that out before we suggest ripping it all out. There must be plenty of people that have regular plasterboard around their showers that don't have any problems.
The guy I was referring to that had the same problem was this guy //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48783. Where exactly did you mention that he should contact a "UK trade tiler site an ask him to say same problem topic ... " I can't see it anywhere myself.

As for the fact that you "recent the fact you would question me here ,on a topic well versed an been my life for the last 24 years" Well I reSent the fact that you are that big headed that you would tell a guy to rip out his shower tiling without having all the facts. I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, just that you may be jumping the gun unnecessarily in this case.

On a separate issue.... for the love of God, please stop writing "lol" at the end of every sentence. :p

Third_Eye said:
My understanding is there are three types of gyproc being 1/ Normal Gyproc 2/ Miosture Resistant Gyproc 3/ Fire protection Gyproc. Therefore i would assume it would be wise to use option 2 in Shower areas and bathrooms. However wether this is done in new build homes i am not sure of !

Its done on all the new builds ive worked on, shower area moisture resistant board.

Moz said:
jbonding
"is this correct and what is the procedure?"
try using search here ..lol duh ..

mods this is a wind up a*sehole d*ck head ....Oh Dear ..lol :) :) :) :)

meaning what? its probably a bit late now for you to explain because now you may be sober and it looks like **** talk ;)

Moz said:
gcol
with all due respect .....:)

that guy was here for 4 weeks an in end ripped it all out anyway ..lol
he heard so many remedies an potions an bullsh*t ...DIY Help

he had the same /exact problem .... FACT ....

he tried silcone this way an that ,
ALL A DEAD LOSS ..
in the end he ripped it out ... ;)

I sent him to a UK trade tiler site an asked him to say same problem topic ...
Answer
rip off start again ...!!

plasterboard will absorb moist/damp an tiles fail ..FACT

gcol
an I quite recent the fact you would question me here ,on a topic well versed an been my life for the last 24 years :(

anyway its a bad substrate ... it needs replacing , my view

let everyone give a tip ,lol :)

as it still pours through your kitchen

(runs through kitchen ceiling must say something ,not drips like a grout fail /trap leak lol )

let the diyers give there point/cure now ...lol lets hope within 4 weeks like last time ..lol

well you misses must be getting well ****ed off, not having her bathroom finished in 24 years :LOL:

gcol said:
Moz, I suggest you have a read of the gibberish you are writing tomorrow morning when you've come round.
I'm not disputing that regular plasterboard isn't the best thing to tile onto round a shower. Just that seeing as though the guy has already done it, if his problem is that it's leaking from the tray/wall seal then lets try and sort that out before we suggest ripping it all out. There must be plenty of people that have regular plasterboard around their showers that don't have any problems.
The guy I was referring to that had the same problem was this guy //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48783. Where exactly did you mention that he should contact a "UK trade tiler site an ask him to say same problem topic ... " I can't see it anywhere myself.As for the fact that you "recent the fact you would question me here ,on a topic well versed an been my life for the last 24 years" Well I reSent the fact that you are that big headed that you would tell a guy to rip out his shower tiling without having all the facts. I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, just that you may be jumping the gun unnecessarily in this case.

On a separate issue.... for the love of God, please stop writing "lol" at the end of every sentence. :p

in here somewere; MOZ,Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:42 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bahco
bathroom refits ...
been in the trade for over 30 yrs ....
plasterboard/plaster skim walls + shower walls =rubbish

marine ply. best .. or the cheaper WPB ....

sorry to here of your troubles ..

glad your ok now ,,

I know your ****ed most times moz and i cant slag you but youve forgotten about 6 years of your life :eek: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back