If the jabs are so successful...

When you say now, you mean they've been saying that for many months? Ever since wave 2 was winding down there have been warnings.

It says here (so don't shoot the messenger!) that lockdowns and social distancing have led to a drop in natural immunity to flu.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-hit-60000-worst-winter-50-years-say-experts/

This would imply that the obverse were true, I.e. that not having lockdowns and social distancing creates natural immunity. If that is the case why does it not apply to covid?

From these contradictory messages do you see why I don't trust the government?

Sponsored Links
It says here (so don't shoot the messenger!) that lockdowns and social distancing have led to a drop in natural immunity to flu.

To be more accurate, lockdowns, social distancing and facemasks have helped reduce the numbers of people getting infected, and so the numbers of people getting sick, and so the numbers of people dying.

If you like people getting sick and dying, then you might dislike the measures that reduce infection.

Do you?

that lockdowns and social distancing have led to a drop in natural immunity to flu
that not having lockdowns and social distancing creates natural immunity. If that is the case why does it not apply to covid?

The difference is that "flu" comes in many varieties, Covid is not one of those varieties.

Most people have over many years acquired natural immunity to one or more of these flu varieties. Their natural immunity adapts quickly from combatting one or more known varieties to be able to combat a new flu variant.

Nobody's immune system had any experience of Covid before being exposed to it. So unless a person's immune system was very good at creating antibodies quickly enough to combat the Covid that person's body organs would have been damaged by Covid before the immume system got Covid under control

Sponsored Links
To be more accurate, lockdowns, social distancing and facemasks have helped reduce the numbers of people getting infected, and so the numbers of people getting sick, and so the numbers of people dying.

If you like people getting sick and dying, then you might dislike the measures that reduce infection.

Do you?

People have always caught infections, got sick and died; it's what you do with your life before you die that counts, or we may as well do away with the human race for good.

By your logic, you want lockdowns, masks and social distancing for all eternity.

Mottie and ITM, do either of you work from home where before covid you commuted to your place of work?
I've probably commuted more in the last couple of months than I had from March 2020 to July 2021. On the trains and in shopping malls since masks have not been compulsory, I have witnessed one particular section of society not wearing masks more than any other. It's no surprise to me that that particular section of society have suffered proportionally more than others.

In 2009, "swine flu" was declared a pandemic and appeared to be very serious.

By luck, the older population, over 60 at the time, most at risk of becoming very ill or dying, had widespread residual immunity from a similar strain that had been around many years before.

....one particular section of society not wearing masks more than any other.

Yes, Conservative MPs are very reckless in this regard.

Johnson and Rees-Mogg are particularly culpable in setting a bad example from their positions of leadership.

https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_8ec616a9-b0c2-453d-82f7-968893140070.jpg

Spot the difference

https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_7cac67da-2fe1-49b3-b748-f2248fabbd0f.jpg

Yes, Conservative MPs are very reckless in this regard.

Johnson and Rees-Mogg are particularly culpable in setting a bad example from their positions of leadership.
Didn't see them on my train. Corbyn was on there but he was sitting in the corner on the floor....

The difference is that "flu" comes in many varieties, Covid is not one of those varieties.

Most people have over many years acquired natural immunity to one or more of these flu varieties. Their natural immunity adapts quickly from combatting one or more known varieties to be able to combat a new flu variant.

Nobody's immune system had any experience of Covid before being exposed to it. So unless a person's immune system was very good at creating antibodies quickly enough to combat the Covid that person's body organs would have been damaged by Covid before the immume system got Covid under control

All very plausible but it would require a leap of faith to believe it, and I don't. Covid is the flu, the common cold and, it would seem, umpteen other common diseases rebranded, and that's the reason for the drop in those other diseases last year. Overall deaths were not much different from normal years, as IT Minion demonstrated last week.

ll very plausible but it would require a leap of faith to believe it,

That is your choice, a leap of faith

or the opinion of hospital staff who saw casualties with organ damage never seen before even in people who had died from the flu

or the opinion of a virologist who lives local and was deeply involved in the evaluation of what Covid is.

the opinion of hospital staff who saw casualties with organ damage never seen before even in people who had died from the flu

There were several reports of hospitals in which absolutely nothing was going on, same with GPs surgeries, same with the Nightingale hospitals. It has been a beanfeast for many.

or the opinion of a virologist who lives local and was deeply involved in the evaluation of what Covid is.

I'm sure he's a decent fellow but there has been a lot of "blinding by science" throughout this scamdemic.

That is your choice,

That's the truest thing you have said, but sadly choice is being taken away from us. We have a new generation of totalitarian politicians.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-hit-60000-worst-winter-50-years-say-experts/

This would imply that the obverse were true, I.e. that not having lockdowns and social distancing creates natural immunity. If that is the case why does it not apply to covid?

From these contradictory messages do you see why I don't trust the government?
Naturally acquired immunity happens when you catch a disease, survive and build immunity.

Naturally acquired immunity happens for many diseases. Polio for example, or measles, or the black death. By your logic we shouldn't worry about them at all and just embrace the death count.

not having lockdowns and social distancing creates natural immunity. If that is the case why does it not apply to covid?
It does apply. In fact that is what a vaccine replicates whilst not killing the recipient unlike full on Covid.

Sponsored Links
Back