Illegal cabling(?) and strange box

Well, six months on and the thread having died a death (or morphed into one about the BBMF) and things have begun to happen.

Today, ENW arrived, dug up our drive and fixed a nice white box on the wall. Knowing what they were about to do, I asked (after offering to make them some tea, but they already had tea-making facilities in their van!) whether they'd mind my watching. The response was favourable, so I enjoyed a very educational hour learning how to work safely on live (and presumably high current - 600A?) cables. Obviously, I'm not going to describe what they did as I'm sure that most of you reading this will already know, but you were quite correct, SS; the new cable that now leads to the box and new cut out was one of these:
http://www.batt.co.uk/products/view/610/Split-Concentric-Cable-BS7870

Tomorrow, Quarzelec engineers will come (I am assured) and do the interior work. I'm told they will run armoured cable under the floor, in the same direction as the existing supply, from the new cut out in the outside box - via the meter, which will be relocated out there - and in to the existing CU. I'm told they'll need to turn the power off for a couple of hours, which is fine by me. They've asked me to lift the carpet and (loose) floorboards over the old cast iron box, which I've already done, lift the carpet adjacent to the CU - they will lift the floorboards, and lift the carpet at an intermediate point in the hall, where I already have loose floorboards. It should be possible to feed through the new cable through using these three access points. Although I did offer to help by going under the floor (I've been there before), but they'll probably decline on the grounds of H&S!

Having got our new supply in place (hopefully), ENW will come again on Friday to remove the old connection and fill in the hole (and tarmac over). My wife will be very pleased to be able to put her car back in the garage; she doesn't like leaving it out (I have to leave mine out, although in fairness it's an old banger. Some would say my wife's an old banger too! Thank God she doesn't visit this site!).

So far, so good. I'm really pleased that ENW (and their subcontractors) are finally doing this work. I'm not complaining, of course; I know that it isn't an urgent matter, and after all it isn't costing me a penny.

I hope this lot is of interest to some of you.

Sponsored Links
At the risk of boring some of you(!), I'd like to update things. The subcontractors (previously part of the earlier NORWEB) came today and installed the new internal cabling. This is thick, armoured cable - often used for 3-phase - and I'm told is twice the gauge of the new external cabling. Even with three separate openings into the sub-floor, it was quite a job for the two men to feed the cable through (under) two rooms and a hallway, then through a 90 degree bend and up through a fitted cupboard and into the CU housing. I was even supplied with two isolating switches, one at each end, and a separate 80A fuse of my own in addition to the 100A main fuse belonging to the DNO.
Despite the problems fitting the cabling and connections (and moving the meter), these men were very pleasant and I didn't hear either of them swear once. Mind you, I kept making them cups of tea, at least whilst the power was still on (it was only off for about an hour anyway).

Incidentally, they also happened to find some loose connections in the CU (which they tightened up) and which had apparently been arcing. I'm told that this could possibly have accounted for the (very) occasional flickering of our lights. The CU was fitted over ten years ago when we bought the house, so I'm not sure whether the loose connections were due to a less than attentive electrician who fitted it or whether they've worked loose themselves over the years. I'm not sure about the latter, as there's no movement or vibration.

Anyway, tomorrow the DNO people come back to cut off the old connection and fill in the hole in our drive. My first wife is ecstatic as she'll be able to put her precious car back under cover.

Incidentally, they also happened to find some loose connections in the CU (which they tightened up) and which had apparently been arcing.
Not the tails going into the main switch, by any chance? The design of the terminals on some of the newer ones seems to make them very prone to that with only the slightest movement of the cables.

Sponsored Links
Interesting story glad all sorted now. It least I hope so. We say here Live in Hope die in Caergwrle as the grave yard is in Caergwrle not Hope. Seems no longer really true new grave yards and church now, but saying remains.

30th of March to 25th September seems a long time to me. I would not have liked everything on hold for that long.

Incidentally, they also happened to find some loose connections in the CU (which they tightened up) and which had apparently been arcing.
Not the tails going into the main switch, by any chance? The design of the terminals on some of the newer ones seems to make them very prone to that with only the slightest movement of the cables.
I'm afraid I don't know. All I remember was that he might have said they were connections to the bus bar, but I'm not sure. I don't remember him mentioning the main switch.

Interesting story glad all sorted now. It least I hope so. We say here Live in Hope die in Caergwrle as the grave yard is in Caergwrle not Hope. Seems no longer really true new grave yards and church now, but saying remains.

30th of March to 25th September seems a long time to me. I would not have liked everything on hold for that long.
Thank you. Almost all sorted; they've still to cut off the old supply (we still rejoice in having two supplies!) and fill in the hole in the drive. I don't expect any problems, of course.

Yes, it has been a long time but in fairness I understand that it was a non-urgent situation and I have a feeling that many older properties still have original rubber-covered conductors. Also, once a firm date for the work to be done was offered, everything has proceeded very smoothly and all being done on three consecutive days.

(And all completely free!)

I'm afraid I don't know. All I remember was that he might have said they were connections to the bus bar, but I'm not sure.

Sounds like the MCBs may not have been securely clampled to the bus bar (or not correctly located on to it). Not an uncommon occurrence!

I'm afraid I don't know. All I remember was that he might have said they were connections to the bus bar, but I'm not sure.

Sounds like the MCBs may not have been securely clampled to the bus bar (or not correctly located on to it). Not an uncommon occurrence!
Could be. I'm sure he said that cables were loose.

This morning, someone has been and cut off the old cable that provided our power and sealed the end (another plastic box filled with resin). We didn't hear them or see them, so I didn't have the opportunity to ask when they'd fill the hole. I imagine the hole will remain at least over the weekend.
I'm not complaining. Everything else has been very good and work done efficiently when scheduled.

The wife still wants to put her car back in the garage, though!

Hole filled early this morning - yes, Sunday!
Still waiting for tarmac.

Tarmac laid today.
Very happy with the work done by both Electricity North West (the exterior work) and Quartzelec (the interior work), and I'd like to thank all involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back