Im giving up smoking

als, aren't you a Muslim? Doesn't the Qur'an state that you're not allowed to use anything that harms your body? If so, surely you shouldn't be smoking due to your beliefs let alone your health.

but by that definition everything is harmfull to you..
every week it seems they find out that one food or another gives you cancer or something..
the very air we breath is harmfull as it contains pollutants..

Not all have been declared Harem and have a fatwa about them :)

Sponsored Links
you guys seem to know a lot about islam, i guess islamification of uk is working its trick :LOL: or i am un informed about Islam myself....but smoking is one of those things called maqrool, like prawns its border line between haram and halal.....but I am giving up not for religious belief but for my own health, i can hardly talk and find it difficult to breath sometimes, if thats not a reason to give up i dont know what is. :oops:

i love prawns by the way

I managed to kick the weed on 16th November, so 4 & a bit months without it, no nicotine gum or patches, plenty of wrigleys though, and I've put on 10lbs, my nasal breathing feels worse, my gums bleed when I brush my teeth (apparently due to blood vessels contracting when you smoke, and dilating when you quit, which calms down allegedly)......but besides that I feel wonderful!! I'd been smoking for 25 years, I'm 41 now and I'm glad I've done it. There is still a long way to go, but I don't think about it at all, which is good !!

It is definitely worth it though, by whichever means you need. I was fortunate in that I haven't needed any help, but if you really want to to it, and you need patches, etc. then use them :)

Sponsored Links
you guys seem to know a lot about islam, i guess islamification of uk is working its trick :LOL: or i am un informed about Islam myself....but smoking is one of those things called maqrool, like prawns its border line between haram and halal.....but I am giving up not for religious belief but for my own health, i can hardly talk and find it difficult to breath sometimes, if thats not a reason to give up i dont know what is. :oops:

i love prawns by the way

I didn't think we were gonna get theological BUT in indian/pakistan etc it is infact Makrooh Tahrimi..meaning it is prohibited and if you do it you have sinned and must repent. Arab Muslims class it as haram, forbidden.

There is more division with prawns...it all depends on each persons view...if it looks like a fish to you it is fine...does it look like a fish?....

Anyway, sorry, lets keep on subject. Good luck with quitting.

Yes LoL i was testing your terminology, its makrooh....

A prawn is from out of the sea does not look like a fish to me, so i dont see a problem as it does not have to be slaughtered.

Anyway, made haram for us is swine flesh, as far as I know of food items, if prawns were haram it would be stated in the Quran,

Thats why i eat mushrooms and feel no guilt, some people think makrooh

“He hath forbidden you only carrion, and blood, and swineflesh, and that which hath been immolated to (the name of) any other than Allah. But he who is driven by necessity, neither craving nor transgressing, it is no sin for him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful” (2:173).

I am feeling quite sad that I have planned to give up smoking, I usually light up when walking etc after a meal and so on, I really do not know what I will do instead..... :rolleyes:

so you can eat what you want if you're starving? damn.. that's ruined my "don't feed them anything but bacon, black pudding and scratchings" idea for breaking the terrorists at guantanamo..

you do realise that it was only for reasons of food hygene that pork was ever labled as bad? it doesn't keep well in hot climates and is a prime breeding ground for tapeworms..

since it says swineflesh, does that mean you can have scratchings? that's only skin and fat, not flesh.. :)

only in cases of extreme hunger, not when we are feeling peckish round our mates whos doing a fry up, and not to excess.

it is partly food hygene, but more to do with disese swineflesh harbours and the fact pigs are unclean animals.......consumers of swineflesh have diseases which are unheard of in the muslim community, it also causes a person to become immoral and oher undesireable traits

no scrathings, swine flesh is swineflesh, skin and toes included.

I am feeling quite sad that I have planned to give up smoking, I usually light up when walking etc after a meal and so on, I really do not know what I will do instead..... :rolleyes:

Just to try and keep this post 'on topic'...

Your posts suggest your mind-set is not right for quitting.

Why are you sad that your quitting them? Its a course of action you should embrace, be proud of and with immense will power, you will convict.

At 35, and an ex 60 marboro (reds) a day, all I can say is, your mental will power has to be stronger. I just went cold turkey on them and it was tough, but running helped me. I got a measured mile down from over 9 minutes to under 6 in just over 6 months. Improved fitness played a part though.

Im still a nicotine addict, and think about a 'fag' everytime Im relaxing. Its still very hard.

David.

A prawn is from out of the sea does not look like a fish to me, so i dont see a problem as it does not have to be slaughtered.
OK only problem there is that unless you class it as a fish, it is haram. It is only halal if you class it as a fish.

Also you can't eat fish that is found dead in the water without an external cause...
...your religion is a bit odd :)

Anyway, as I have said, lets not get side tracked by ancient rules made up by people none of us have ever met.

Good luck, you can do it, just tackle it one day at a time...and think of all the money you wil save.

it is partly food hygene, but more to do with disese swineflesh harbours and the fact pigs are unclean
cobblers.. just because the roll round in mud to prevent getting sunburnt?
consumers of swineflesh have diseases which are unheard of in the muslim community
and only black people get scycle cell.. but does that mean that coconuts cause it? ( ok, so whatever food only black people eat.. )
it also causes a person to become immoral and oher undesireable traits
and that's a load of cobblers too.. morality is subjective to each group of people..

Also you can't eat fish that is found dead in the water without an external cause...

again, simple food hygene.. don't eat anything you didn't kill yourself, you don't know what it died of..

again, simple food hygene.. don't eat anything you didn't kill yourself, you don't know what it died of..
Agreed.
Do you think the elders KNEW it was only about hygiene and thought "Well...shall we just say God said it? Makes them question it less"
or do you think they thought "Ah, this dead meat i found by the side of the road has made me ill....it must be because this meat is forbidden by all and muhammed, pbuh!"

op, I strongly recommend the Easyway book by Allen Carr.

Am I fighting a lost cause Dex?

Im new here but trying to keep this topic discussion based on the Op's original post is a lost cause.

I give up. Surely, pigs... albeit who eats what parts is another discussion?

David.

Sponsored Links
Back