Immersion Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to have my immersion tank replaced (it was damaged when it was installed). A qualified electrician originally wired the immersion. When the tank was replaced, the plumber didn't hook the wiring back up.

I have no problem wiring up light switches and outlets but wanted to check about an immersion. Can anyone provide advise on which wires go to what.

If you require a clearer picture, just let me know.

Immersion.jpg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That looks like four core
think we need to see the other end also

Does that have two elements in it,

Hmmm odd.

I'd say there is two elements, but they are commoned through the stat.

That would mean a switched neutral? :confused:

That looks like four core
think we need to see the other end also

Does that have two elements in it,

Yes, it is a sink/bath switch

I will take a picture of the switch side and post it

Sponsored Links
To be fair without knowing the terminals of the two element posts, and whether the two are the same size I would not know.
The diagram shows all four are seperate
If the blue is on the N then that is the neutral it looks like it MAY go to the stat but I have not known that to be done before.

The earth is easy that nuts on the element threaded earth post

In the switch brown and black will be sink or bath,maybe marked by the switch terminal
The other end black and brown and blue if neutral I would not like to quess
You may need the make of the switch and element to consult the wiring as this is not a basic set up to me

On the switch:

Brown is Bath (Ba)
Black is Sink (Si)

The immersion says it is an "Ideal Immersion" 220 Volts 2/3 KW

It also says:
Irish Domestic Electrical Appliances Limited
31 STH Gloucester Street
Dublin

I don't have a brand on the switch

To be fair without knowing the terminals of the two element posts, and whether the two are the same size I would not know.
The diagram shows all four are seperate
If the blue is on the N then that is the neutral it looks like it MAY go to the stat but I have not known that to be done before.

The earth is easy that nuts on the element threaded earth post

In the switch brown and black will be sink or bath,maybe marked by the switch terminal
The other end black and brown and blue if neutral I would not like to quess
You may need the make of the switch and element to consult the wiring as this is not a basic set up to me

As the unit was made in Ireland, from Register of Eletrical Contractors of Ireland

"Connecting Immersion Heaters
Electrical Contractors are reminded of the need to check manufacturers instructions when connecting domestic dual immersion heaters incorporating a common thermostat for both elements.

Manufacturers can use different colour codes for the flexible lead from the immersion to the sink/bath changeover switch. This lead which is usually 4 core brown, black, blue, green/yellow is generally hard-wired to the immersion and it must not be assumed that brown, black, blue are used for the same immersion connections by all manufacturers. Some manufacturers connect the blue through the stat to the common terminal of the two elements, others use brown for this connection. Either system functions correctly when connected in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions but the use of a black core as a neutral, as is the case with one UK manufacturer, is not in compliance with the cable colour code requirements of our National Wiring Rules and this is being notified to the manufacturer in question.

Failure to ensure correct connection of the immersion flexible lead at the sink/bath changeover switch can lead to malfunctioning of the water heating system. One typical result of incorrect connection can lead to both elements being connected in series without the thermostat being in circuit with consequent boiling of the water in the copper cylinder and associated hazards.

If the manufacturer’s connection diagram is not available at time of connection, the contractor should check at the immersion terminals or, using the OHMs range of a continuity tester, verify the designation of each core in the appliance flex."

From your information

Blue to thermostat (You have not marked)
Green to earth post B
Brown to A
Black to C

If you find that the "Bath" position does not provide sufficient hot water, then reverse A & C

"That would mean a switched neutral? " Its within the appliance so what's the problem?

"It does not comply with regulation 530.3.2"

Check the definition of Appliance and Systems

No point in quoting regs if you dont understand them

That looks like an old stock type of immersion - no longer available - there does not appear to be an overheat cut out switch on the thermostat - and of course the switched neutral thermostat is taboo.

I used to have an identical immersion, but due to non-availability of parts, it was replaced with a modern cylinder, with two side entry elements, the bottom for the Bath, and the top for the Sink. (the bath element was fed from the economy seven supply, the sink element from the standard supply)

Is the fuse unit mounted on the wall below the switch for the immersion heater?

That looks like an old stock type of immersion - no longer available - there does not appear to be an overheat cut out switch on the thermostat - and of course the switched neutral thermostat is taboo.

I used to have an identical immersion, but due to non-availability of parts, it was replaced with a modern cylinder, with two side entry elements, the bottom for the Bath, and the top for the Sink. (the bath element was fed from the economy seven supply, the sink element from the standard supply)

Is the fuse unit mounted on the wall below the switch for the immersion heater?

I had a thermostat with a cut off and it went off all the time (even when the heating was on). The electrician replaced all of them in the estate with the newer one you see.

The fuse unit is indeed under the switch

Is the short lead from the right hand side of the thermostat connected to anything at the moment?

Has the plumber replaced like for like, or has he replaced a dual element immersion heater with a single element one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back