Inset gas fire depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an inset gas fire that i want fitted to a pre-cast flue system. The fire chosen has a minumum depth required of 120mm, without the fire surround back in place the depth is only 100mm but with the stone fire surround back in place it will bring the depth to 175mm. Is it ok to use the surround back to bring the fire out more???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes since the surround will be sealed to the flue blocks.

Your installer will also check the flue cross sectional area, catchment space volume (volume below the flue spigot), distance from flue spigot to the rear blockwork and the minimum throat dimension with the manufacturers dimensions. The terminal must also be of the correct type if required.

What do the installation instructions say about fiting to a pre-cast flue? Some can't be fitted.

I don't know - read the manual - some flue block systems were next to useless and were so badly installed they are unusable. Often the joints were badly sealed.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Its a flavel windsor pebble gas fire (slimline). It says its ok for a pre-cast flue, i was just worried about the fire depth. If i bring it out to leave a 175mm gap at the back and the minimum is 120mm will i be coming out too far. After all its 50mm more than the minimum depth recommended.

Why not get a Gas fire registered installer to fit the fire for you. While you might be able to fit the fire, do you think you will be able to commission the fire, check the chimney and verify the burner pressure along with spillage check?

I see plenty fires diyed, that needed remedial work carried out making the orignal saving nonexistant. Think safe, use someone who has proven track record.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back