Installing an oven with all-pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone help I've been searching for hours. I have two ovens to install, the first no problem however the second which is a combination came with a flex and instructions do not install with a plug, connection must be with a all-pole disconnection device with a minimum contact gap of 3mm. I have 6mm from a double pole switch, can I just wire this into a 30amp junction box and then run the flex to this? I just can't find what a all-pole disconnection device is. Thanks

Sponsored Links
All pole means double - pole for a single phase install.
Your method sounds ok as long as the 6mm² is adequately protected at the consumer unit, and is sufficient for the oven load.

Ricicle, thanks for your advice. 6mm is fine, so I can just wire in to a 30amp junction box, as above. Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
MCB is 32amp and flex size is 4mm, seem 4mm is a bit low but came with the oven.

is it a single oven or a double oven? (when you say "oven" you do mean "oven" not "cooker?")

What is its current rating in Amps or kW?

First is a oven with a connected load of 3.8kW hard wired to double pole switch using 6mm cable. Second is oven with a total connected load of 3.6kW, I was going to hard wire this using 6mm and both bonded using 10mm, however the oven arrived with 4mm white three core flex and a installation note. Do not connect with plug, connection must be with a all-pole disconnection device with a minimum contact gap of 3mm. Above Ricicle says 'All pole means double - pole for a single phase install' which both would be connected to using 6mm for each, but can I wire in to a 30amp junction box with the 6mm and then out with the 4mm factory fitted to the oven.

Reason for not going straight to the double pole switch from the oven, using 4mm is that it would mean pulling all the cabinets and splash back out, to get the 4mm in to the box, the wife won't like that. I did wire a 6mm from the box into the cabinet awaiting the oven, but the thing turned up with a 4mm flex. I thought that a 30amp junction box would be fine, but so that I don't void the warranty, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Is the 6mm2 just loose in the cupboard or does it terminate in a Cooker Connection Unit (CCU again???)? Its like a big version of a flex outlet plate. Surely you could use one of these supplied by the 6mm and come out of it with the 4mm flex?

Any ideas? – Could I just run the 6mm into a 30amp junction box then the 4mm out to the oven. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back