Installing dishwasher for first time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just bought a dishwasher (Kenwood KDW8ST2A)- there's never been one in this house as far as I know so I'm looking for advice on the best way to install it with the minimum of difficulty.
Without rearranging everything and moving cupboards, there's only one space it could go in (and it's unfortunately just 10mm too narrow for a full size dishwasher, so I've had to get a slimline one!). The kitchen is a long narrow room with everything laid out down one side - from the right hand end, it goes sink (with water pipes in cupboard underneath), washing machine, cooker, double cupboard, then the space the dishwasher will go in. There's about 8 feet between the water pipes under the sink and the dishwasher, so I know I'll need to extend the pipes that come with the dishwasher, but if someone could talk me through what I'll need and how to fit it all, I'd really appreciate it. I spoke to a rather patronising man at B&Q earlier today who appeared astounded that I was intending to do it myself (girls can't do DIY, can we?) and told me to get a plumber in. If it is actually that complicated then fair enough, but I can't imagine it's all that more difficult than hooking up a washing machine and I managed to do that all by myself...
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
The easy part will be supplying the cold water supply.
How are you thinking of getting the waste water away.
You need a stand pipe that will then connect to your sink waste pipe, you maybe able to put a stand pipe & then go through the wall to the waste.
Tackle it as 2 parts to the job.

I understood that I could obtain the cold water and get rid of the waste water by connecting it up to the fittings that are already there for the washing machine. Is this not the case?
The main thing I need to know is what I'll need to buy and how to fit it - I know I'll need an extension hose due to the distance, and I'm thinking a double spigot trap under the sink, is this the best one for this job? Is there anything else I'll need? And if someone could briefly talk me through fitting it all just so I'm sure I'm doing it right, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

Not knowing your diy skills, its not easy giving advice, what you could do is either post a picture on here or go to a plumbers merchants not a diy shop & ask there advice.

Sponsored Links
Update - went to Wickes with a photo of the cupboard under the sink and got some very helpful advice from one of their staff. Bought a double spigot trap & a thing for splitting the cold water feed so two feed pipes can be attached at the same time but they didn't have anything for extending the feed pipe and the waste pipe so tried a local plumbing shop instead. Got a longer waste pipe & feed pipe (2.5m) as they didn't have anything for extending the existing pipes and went to fit it all, only to discover that the waste pipe that came fitted to the dishwasher is impossible to remove!
Ended up phoning the manufacturer to see what they suggest, and got "oh, if you've only just bought it then we'll send someone round to sort it out for you, it'll be free since it's still in warranty." Wish I'd known that before I spent all morning at DIY shops and with my head in the cupboard under the sink!!
Thanks for your help though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back