Installing socket under floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a CCTV recorder PVR that I need to hide in the floor so it isn't stolen if my house is burgled. I have cut away a section of 2 floorboards, screwed them to a piece of MDF, then mounted the PVR on top of the MDF. This works well.

My remaining concern is that if the house is ransacked then it will likely be unplugged, so I would like to install an additional socket under the floor.

It's right by the ring main connection to another socket so it should be fairly straightforward but is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Is it OK to mount the socket on a joist using a regular back box and socket, or should I use an outdoor type socket with a built in RCD? Or something else?

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fitting a socket or any other accessory like it under a floorboard is crap.

Does the system just have a regular 13 amp plug?

If so, you could fit an unswitched fused spur on the wall somewhere, and wire the flex into this.

Installing any current using equipment under the floorboards isn't imo a good idea owing to the risk of fire.
How about installing a burglar alarm (SMS dialer etc etc)?

If so, you could fit an unswitched fused spur on the wall somewhere, and wire the flex into this.

Since the pvr will need access, I assume the floorboards will be a lid of types.

So if access is available there isn't really an issue.

More of any issue will be the diverse temps and moisture levels should the sub floor be well vented from airbricks. Deep winter under my floors is a few degrees above air temp.

I'd make up a sub floor cage with moist resistant mdf with a few venting holes and have a socket,and pvr in there. Avoids dust and insulates, help the unit avoid swings in temp.

The floor boards could have Quarter turn fasteners counter sunk to keep it nice and closed.

Sponsored Links
Most security now is off site, so get a pvr that net connects and have a storage level that allows for your needs off site.

Can be set to over record after 1,7,14 days or however you think you want to do it. If you net connect and have a smart phone you can spy on the Mrs or the burglar live on line :eek:

I see plenty of surface sockets installed in unconverted cellars, which are effectively in the same environment as under the floorboards and not yet seen any affected by damp/cold

My DVR is shoved up out the way in the loft. It's just a bit of a PITA when you have to burn a hard copy of the footage onto DVD.

Thank you for your comments. I will try to respond to the main points.

I had considered this but is it really any better than a socket?

Installing any current using equipment under the floorboards isn't imo a good idea owing to the risk of fire.

Is it any more of a risk than if it was on top of the floorboards?

Since the pvr will need access, I assume the floorboards will be a lid of types.

Correct. The section of floorboards I cut away sits nicely on the two joists they span. MDF screwed to the bottom of the boards, PVR mounted on the MDF.

So if access is available there isn't really an issue.

More of any issue will be the diverse temps and moisture levels should the sub floor be well vented from airbricks. Deep winter under my floors is a few degrees above air temp.

I'd make up a sub floor cage with moist resistant mdf with a few venting holes and have a socket,and pvr in there. Avoids dust and insulates, help the unit avoid swings in temp.

The floor boards could have Quarter turn fasteners counter sunk to keep it nice and closed.

The unit is secure and is covered by the carpet so I don't think it needs securing further.

I will check the thermal spec of the components I used for the PVR. Logging temperatures would probably be a good idea too.

Most security now is off site, so get a pvr that net connects and have a storage level that allows for your needs off site.

Can be set to over record after 1,7,14 days or however you think you want to do it. If you net connect and have a smart phone you can spy on the Mrs or the burglar live on line :eek:

At 14GB per camera per day, that's not very practical. That's approximately 1.3Mbps and my max broadband upload speed is only 2.5Mbps. Most people only have around 0.4Mbps upload.

Stick the cctv recorder in the loft. Burglars don't go in lofts...........normally.

Andy

Unfortunately I didn't think to install cabling to the loft and it would not be easy to do it now. I also have a nice loft hatch with built in ladder so it would be very easy to access.

My DVR is shoved up out the way in the loft. It's just a bit of a PITA when you have to burn a hard copy of the footage onto DVD.

Can you not share the folder and burn it from a PC? Or use Telnet, remote desktop, TeamViewer, etc.

The cameras are on 24/7 but can't you set movement attactivation, so you record when there's actually something to record? Which will be one room, short periods mostly.

Thus the off site become viable, if say there's an event triggered that can store for the event period and download off site over a period (the networks available band width).

I believe compression software can be used, so the copy is off site uploaded as a type of PDF format which all saves on storage.

As for the floor, make sure it isn't foot find. If they get in, see the cameras and start looking you don't want a casual step or stamp on the floor to be a reveal (loose, uneven boards are very noticeable even under underlay and carpet).

The cameras are on 24/7 but can't you set movement attactivation, so you record when there's actually something to record? Which will be one room, short periods mostly.

Thus the off site become viable, if say there's an event triggered that can store for the event period and download off site over a period (the networks available band width).

I believe compression software can be used, so the copy is off site uploaded as a type of PDF format which all saves on storage.

As for the floor, make sure it isn't foot find. If they get in, see the cameras and start looking you don't want a casual step or stamp on the floor to be a reveal (loose, uneven boards are very noticeable even under underlay and carpet).

The cameras cover the outside of my property. The one covering the back door doesn't get much movement but the front has cars and people up and down all the time.

Regardless, I don't think the PVR software supports automatic compression and file transfer.

Anyway this is getting rather off topic.

From the comments so far, I don't see anything wrong with installing a socket under the floorboards.

Thank you for your comments. I will try to respond to the main points.

Is it any more of a risk than if it was on top of the floorboards?

In my opinion, yes. Installed in a place with limited ventillation and where a fire may not be discovered as quickly as it would if it was in sight (or in range of a smoke head etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back