Ironing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where do you do the ironing?

I do my ironing in the kitchen such that the iron flex has to trail across the worktop. We recently bought a new iron, a mid-range Morphy Richards one. Its a good iron except for one flaw. The flex is too short. I find at the extremities of the board, I am tugging at the plug which presents a safety issue.

I wrote to Morphy Richards (via their online query form)

The cord on this iron is too short to be practical. I iron in my kitchen, the cord has to trail across the worktop onto the ironing board. The cord is only 2m long. As most time is spent at the extremities of the board (on collars, sleeves), I find myself tugging at the plug, which presents a safety issue. Why is the cord on this iron so short? Its not exactly a basic model, and my previous iron had a 3m cord. I'm sure I'm not the only person who irons in the kitchen, and other locations would require even longer leads or extension leads which could propose an even greater danger.

They replied (with spaces and paragraph gaps which my original query contained)

Dear Steven Craft

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear of the problem, which you have experienced with your appliance, and we appreciate you having taken the time to contact us.

The warranty supplied with your appliance is to provide spare parts or a replacement in the event of defective materials or mechanical breakdown. We would suggest that the cable length is not a product defect and is part of the specification to the individual iron. We would advise that you contact the retailer with whom your contract of sale was originated to discuss refund or exchange and not the manufacturer.

We trust this information will be of assistance and assure you of our best attention to quality and customer support.

Kind regards

Kelly Archbold
Consumer Care Administration

What???? My concern was safety and ergonomics, not the warranty! I wasn't after a refund, simply an explanation as to how they think 2 metres is long enough when the average ironing board is 1.2 metres long! :eek: Is a metre of cotton braided flex really so expensive?

Sponsored Links
what's an iron :?: surely you put your dirty laundry in a basket, and the clothes faries magically make it re-appear in the wardrobe.

what's an iron :?: surely you put your dirty laundry in a basket, and the clothes faries magically make it re-appear in the wardrobe.
It used to, but then it stopped happening when i turned 23, so i had to learn how to use the laundry equipment.

an iron is not practically long ehough to reach a plug anyway..
they're only 450 off the floor so unless you iron against a wall then you've already lost about half a meter just on the vertical..

most people use an extension lead

Sponsored Links
Time to consider obtaining the most expensive laundry kit there is then. Should last a long time if taken care of, possibly longer than you want it to, and it's damned expensive to upgrade. Alternatively, extend or replace the flex?

Where do you do the ironing?
I don't :oops: :D

This is our iron with a 1.6m flex reach
steam-iron-delonghi-vvx-360.jpg

We also have a space saving iron board if anyone is interested

http://www.wallmountedironingboard.co.uk/WallMountedIroningBoardFULLSIZE.htm

you got low worktops in your kitchen then are you midgets ?

I'm 6 foot 4 on bare feet...

and not everyone does their ironing in the kitchen..
Mom used to do ours in the lounge whilst watching telly..

if you do iron in the kitchen, then unless you got one of those counter top ones, you're already 600mm from the wall to the edge of the counter top..

you need to get a life crafty...sorry steve. 18 and all youve got to worry about is the length of flex on an iron. you should be worrying about cars, girls, drink, girls, spots, girls, holidays, girls, nights out with mates, girls...etc etc etc

Sponsored Links
Back